Sign in with
Your question

Fileserver to Stream 1080 Movies w/raid

Last response: in Storage
September 30, 2010 9:34:07 PM

I'm building a fileserver to host my video collection, many of which are 1080p resolution. My plan is to buy 5 x 2 TB hard drives and arrange them in a RAID 5 configuration. I'm going to use this file server to stream videos to my xbox, so I want to be sure that the file server will be able to keep up with the 15Mbit+ video stream required to watch a 1080p h.264 file without stuttering.

I'm trying to determine which hard drives I should purchase. Would a 5400 RPM drive be too slow for this purpose? I know RAID 5 is relatively good for sequential reads, but I'm worried that a RAID 5 array of 5400 RPM drives might lead to stuttering of video. On the other hand, 5 x 7200 RPM drives would be more expensive, and I'm worried about the heat.

Has anyone done anything like this before? Any thoughts, comments, or ideas would be much appreciated!
a c 93 G Storage
September 30, 2010 10:04:44 PM

Assuming you have a wired network and a fairly decent CPU/memory the 5400RPM drives should do just fine performance-wise. They will also help with your noise and heat generation as well.

I wouldn't recommend streaming 1080 via wireless. Some say it is fine, but it will (not a debate) be "glitchy" from time to time.

Good luck!!!
September 30, 2010 10:22:36 PM

Nah, I wouldn't think of trusting a wireless network. In my experience they're not too reliable.
Related resources
a c 93 G Storage
October 1, 2010 12:34:47 AM

davomyster said:
Nah, I wouldn't think of trusting a wireless network. In my experience they're not too reliable.

I like the way you think....
a c 127 G Storage
October 1, 2010 12:18:01 PM

5400rpm goes up to 140MB/s while 15 megabit = 2MB/s. So no reason 5400rpm drives can't handle a single stream; the latest 5400rpm are faster than the first Velociraptor.

But you may have to adjust the buffering levels in your mediaplayer if you get stutters now and then; that would be a sign of insufficient buffering.
!