Would ya'll please Rate My New PC config

Black Pearl

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
I recentlly assembled My Brand New Rig (On A Limited Budget Of Course) so here it is:

CPU = E8400 Wolfdale 3.00Ghz , 6M cache
MoBo = Gigabyte P43 DS3L (Supporting Bus 1200 DDR2 & 1600 FSB for The CPU)
VGA = MSI 96oo GT 1GB (OC Edition)
RAM = DDR2 Patriot 2GB 800 BUS Speed
PSU = 500W Discovery 8800GT SLi Certified
2X 500GB HDD 1 - Samsung 2 - Western Digital
About Three Cooling Fans One For The HDDs

This Mobo Offers Alot Of Overclocking features I haven't tried Any thing Yet But Suggestions Are More Than welcome
Plus I Need A Pro Opinion On The Following :

1 - Can My PC Run Assassin's Creed On 1280 * 1024 Maxed ?
2 - Can It Run GTA IV Maxed On The same Resolution Also ?

I have a 19 inches wide screen LG
your opinions % suggestions are appreciated in advance everybody

The weak link is the GPU or VGA as you put it. You dont need a 1gb card for your resolution 512 is plenty and i seriously doubt the card is capable of Maxing those games at any resolution anyway.
Everything else reads ok, its just the GPU that lets it down a bit. Ideally i would balance that system with a HD4850 or 4830 for budget purposes or a 9800GT.
Those cards would handle your games well.
As i said the rest of it reads well and something has to give when on a budget, personally i would have dropped one of the HDD's or even used a 320GB model to afford a better GPU.
I would have considered some more Ram at some point as well.

Mactronix

rooseveltdon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
Well the system is not bad at all,however if you were on a budget you could have done much better for a lot less the cpu you got is excellent as far as over clocking and multi tasking and runs great even at stock speeds but for less money you could have gotten a 7400 or 7500 wolfdale for the same performance (benchmarks in the end are just that...benchmarks in the real world an average/gamer won't see so much of a difference between them), your mobo is very good. There was no point wasting money on two hard drives, a really good 500gb hard drive with 32mb cache could have done the job and left you with more money. The weakest link in your system is the graphics card,the 9600 gt is decent for those who don't really play many games but want to have the option its a mid range card rather than a gaming card (and i really doubt it could max out gta4 but i havent tried it so i wouldnt know for sure) and 1gb is not necessary for your resolution 512 would have served the purpose just as good, the card that would have really worked for you would have the 9800gt or the 4830 both of these card cost around 100 bucks and some change but will give you all the graphical power you need (not always on the highest possible settings of course but they would do the job just fine in most of the latest games).....you would be better off getting only one harddrive for now (you can always add another at some other time) and saving the money to get either a 9800gt or a 4830/4850,those cards should max out the games you mentioned and keep you satisfied for a while.

Well you can try these if you want more FPS...
1. Overclock the E8400...
2. Add 2GB more...

The 1GB of the VGA memory - Is it DDR2 or DDR3...If it is DDR2, then its bad because a 9600GT 512 DDR3 would perform better than a 9600GT 1GB DDR2.
If you can change the graphics card, then certainly do it...It is the slowest componet of the lot...