OCZ Memory Troubles, Advice Needed

Wiiings12

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
Ok, so about 3 weeks ago I got another 2gb dual channel kit from ocz (had the same kit already, decided to double my memory) and ever since I got that installed I have had nothing but trouble! BSOD like all the time. So I started doing some experimenting, and concluded that one specific stick was causing the problems. The system will work just fine if I pull that stick, but will BSOD within a few seconds of booting with ONLY that stick installed. I have contacted OCZ about it, and they say that I need to set the ram to run at 800mhz, and change the timings. However, the ram is set up to the specifications that OCZ suggests on their website. Is there something I dont know about running 4 sticks of ram? Thanks!

Here's the ram.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_pc2_8500_sli_ready_edition_dual_channel

(4x1gb)

Wiiings12

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
The stick shows no errors in memtest, I think that is mainly because I dont know how to use it though. But I KNOW something is wrong with that stick, because the system wont work with it alone. And all the timings and voltages are set correctly in the bios, OCZ wants me to underclock the ram, to run it in 'Four stick mode'..?

Yeah, sounds like you have worked with it and know something is wrong with it. I would tell OCZ support the RAM appears to be bad at least in your machine and ask for an RMA replacement. OCZ has sent me 'dead' RAM as a replacement!

Wiiings12

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
allrighty.. Finally convinced the RMA guy to send me some new ram.

Just for future reference, do I actually need to underclock my RAM to run all four sticks together? I have never heard of this in my life, until talking with this RMA guy. he was telling me to drop it down to 800mhz, and make the timing 6-6-6-20

The ram I paid for is supposed to run at 1066mhz and with 5-5-5-15!

Just for future reference, do I actually need to underclock my RAM to run all four sticks together?

No, not at all. The RAM specs say 2.1-2.3v Four DIMMs may require a bump in volltage to the 2.3v and possibly an increase in MB chips like NB, but four DIMMs should run at 1066MHz. as advertised.

I have never heard of this in my life, until talking with this RMA guy. he was telling me to drop it down to 800mhz, and make the timing 6-6-6-20

It is possible your MB (micro) does not have the voltage regulators to power the RAM at 1066MHz. The BIOS would have to have adjustments for the RAM voltage beyond 1.8v BIOS default. A lot of micro boards lack the voltage regulators necessary to provide voltage adjustments to the MB chips like a their more expensive, enthusiast oriented full ATX MB counterparts.

The ram I paid for is supposed to run at 1066mhz and with 5-5-5-15

THat's right. I have found OCZ RAM to be 'picky' at times. Sometimes if you have the voltage adjustment available, it can be set up to run with voltage adjustment.

Wiiings12

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
Thank you very much for all your help Badge! I am very aware of how cheap the motherboard I have is, its pretty much the most basic thing you can buy. I am thinking that probably has something to do with the voltage regulators and stuff you were talking about. Even so, I know it will run 3 sticks at advertised speed just fine, as I was doing that for the past week. But that is actually good in my situation since I am on a 32 bit OS and could only really use 230mb of that 4th stick anyway!

If you notice, PC26400 rated at 800MHz. requires less voltage than PC28500 rated at 1066MHz. PC28500 is simply PC26400 that is guaranteed to run at the higher 1066MHz. speed (with a lot more voltage needed to do so of course). Anyway, if you get the replacement kits back from OCZ and have the same problem, you might consider getting something like this kit which requires only 1.8v-1.9v to run at 800MHz. This RAM will run over 900MHz. with a voltage increase, I own 6 kits. See reviews and specs. (1.8v.-1.9v required). If you overclock the system, this RAM may work for your board, especially with four Dimms. Less voltage required to power them!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122

Remember, it will take more voltage to power 4 DIMMS than three. That OCZ you have requires a minimum of 2.1v to run at 1066MHz. It is possible your micro MB can not supply enough juice to four DIMMs. And, the PC26400 I linked requires 1.8v, which is what the BIOS default voltage is. And that G. Skill will run 'near' PC28500 1066 with voltage increase.