Unidentified startup program

Paul

Splendid

I ran msconfig to list my startup programs and there is one startup item listed with no name and no command. It does show a location of HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.

I also ran X-Cleaner and it also lists an unidentified startup program. It shows a description of [?Missing?]. I tried deleting it with X-Cleaner and it won't delete it (no error message is displayed).

Does anyone know what this program can be?

If I don't need it, how can I get rid of it. I tried editing the registry but I can't find it under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run or HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce or HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run or
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce.

Paul;

Apparently, if there is no path, or maybe an incorrect path, in Value Data,
the item shows up blank in msconfig | Startup.

Start | Run | Type: regedit | OK |
Navigate to >>

What do you see in the right hand pane?
Do you see an entry with blank (nothing) in the Data column?

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:68B8D96B-08FA-4C8B-A86E-F60597F952B3@microsoft.com,
Paul <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I ran msconfig to list my startup programs and there is one startup
> item listed with no name and no command. It does show a location of
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.
>
> I also ran X-Cleaner and it also lists an unidentified startup
> program. It shows a description of [?Missing?]. I tried deleting it
> with X-Cleaner and it won't delete it (no error message is
> displayed).
>
> Does anyone know what this program can be?
>
> If I don't need it, how can I get rid of it. I tried editing the
> registry but I can't find it under
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run or
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce or
> HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run or
> HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce.

Paul

Splendid

The data column for Default contained nothing in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. I deleted Default and now the data column shows '(value not set)' This has corrected the problem. I'm not sure how the Default value was set incorrectly but it's fixed now.

Thanks for you help.

Paul;

You're welcome.
I don't know either unless removal of poorly written program did it.
Not to worry about why. You fixed it. :)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:311EF75D-4A22-4917-ABA6-9D2CACB80AB5@microsoft.com,