Solved

Macbook HDD upgrade

Hey, i'm hoping that you can help me.
i am going to upgrade my current hdd with a new hdd. Unfortunately I brought the laptop second hand from ebay so therefore there are no recovery disks with the computer. The current hdd has OSX 10.6 on it and all my stuff. Is there anyway I can transfer the data from the old hdd to the new one so i can avoid reinstalling the os.

Thanks
Murray
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about macbook upgrade
  1. Yes. Download the free trial of a program called SuperDuper. It will take you step by step to clone your Mac hard drive.
  2. I had a look at the program and it looks like it is going to do exactly what I need it to do for me. I'll come back in a few days once I get the HDD and everything sorted and tell you how it went. One more thing though. Before I clone the HDD what format does it need to be in in disk utility?

Thanks again
  3. Best answer
    Going off memory here, so you may want to confirm but...

Mac hard drives need to be in GUID format to be bootable. However, if you select the "Backup - all files" option in SuperDuper, it will make an exact copy of your original hard drive including the format.

This is the how-to I followed when I upgraded my wife's macbook HDD.

If you don't already have an enclosure, I recommend this nice little unit that I used for the HDD upgrade: Transcend TS0GSJ25S-S 2.5" Silver USB 2.0 External Enclosure $15

I used the enclosure to house the new hard drive while cloning, then I swapped the old and new hard drives after I was finished and now use the original mac hard drive in the enclosure as a backup and to transfer files.
  4. Thanks! It worked perfectly. I swapped the HDD's out and I just had to reset some small thing in the macbook (something to do with the Bios) and the apple logo appeared fast again.

Thanks
  5. Best answer selected by muzza_95.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Data Recovery Macbook Storage Product