Sign in with
Your question

CPU multiplier the "safest" way to overclock?

Last response: in Overclocking
October 26, 2010 6:51:16 PM

I've read through all the stickies and searched multiple forums on OCing my system and seems like a little bit of knowledge ill applied is a recipe for disaster. (I know this translates to most things)

Anyway, this is what I'm "working" on:

Dell XPS 630i
P 155 mobo
Q6600 2.4 GHz
Originally using stock cooler (actually a nice one with fan came with the XPS) but just bought a hyper 212 to help with cooling
4x1GB Corsair RAM 800MHz 2.2v 5-5-5-18
EVGA GTX 470 (still in box) was using 2x8800GTs SLI'd
Gaming resolution 1680x1050
60 GB SSD
Windows 7

I tried to follow some advice from the Dell support forums and mixed with some of the guides here I think I overdid it. I was posting but having serious issues with stabilitiy in Windows Vista 32 bit. I had raised the CPU to ~ 3.2 GHz using FSB and CPU voltages but also tweaked the RAM up to 2.1V and 900HZ. Seems like a horrible suggestion after I did some more research, but I'm still not 100% on RAM OCing other than that I probably wont try it again.

I just want to get my Q6600 up to around 3 GHZ until I feel the NEED to buy an i5/i7 board... for gaming.

*** To the question:
My Mobo allows my to simply adjust the CPU multiplier without manually tweaking voltages. I currently use the default 9x multiplier on 267MHZ to get the 2.4 GHZ. Is increasing the multiplier to 11 to get 2.99 GHZ the simplest and safest way to OC? I might try 12x if my hyper 212 cooler is working really well, but I want to check 3.0 is stable before jumping to 3.2.

I've been studying the guides on voltage tweaks, but if there is a safer method that will give a good performance boost (not the best) I think I'd rather go that route.

Thanks for the help.

***edited to remove the bouncey... he was making my eyes hurt and probably yours too. :??: 
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 27, 2010 8:59:40 AM

Well, the safest method is to increase the CPU Multiplier by one notch every time. I would suggest you do not fool around with the voltages of different things, leave all that to AUTO.
A good OC will work with the Multiplier itself on a good Mobo.
Since you're not aiming for 9GHz... :)  it's best to leave everything on AUTO and just increase the CPU Multiplier one step at a time, keeping in mind the Temps of the Processor.....
And before you start of make sure you've got the latest BIOS for that board and it's set at default values....
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 27, 2010 2:18:16 PM

This is one of the easiest CPU's that was ever released to overclock. You cannot change the multiplier, it is locked on this processor. (you can lower it, but you cannot raise it past it's default setting)
To put this processor at 3ghz instantly and painlessly, you would raise the FSB setting. Intel FSB default setting are 200mhz = 800fsb actual, 266mhz = 1066fsb actual, and 333mhz = 1333fsb actual. In your case with a Q6600, the FSB default setting should be at 266mhz. Simply raise it to 333mhz. Leave everything else alone and at default settings. Most all of these cpus' will work perfectly by simply doing this. You may have to bump the cpu voltage very, very slightly if you experience any instability.
This is of course dependent on whether or not your Dell BIOS will allow you to change the FSB. I would not be surprised at all if these options were locked and not adjustable.
m
l
!