Overclock

if i have a
Asus Rampage 2 Extreme Motherboard and gtx 480
and i want to overclock both
i want to know 2 things
what 6gb ram is the best like 1333, 1600 or more?
and what power supply will be enough
7 answers Last reply
More about overclock
  1. Intel platforms like higher frequency rams so 1600+ would be better. AMD on the otherhand prefer tigher timings.

    A good quality 750W will run it fine. If you have two gtx480 in sli, you will need at least 850W.
  2. This topic has been moved from the section Systems to section Overclocking by Buwish
  3. This 6GB kit is very good:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231335&cm_re=PI_1600-_-20-231-335-_-Product

    The a 750W or 850W for SLI from Antec, Corsair, Seasonic or PC Power and Cooling.
  4. kureme said:
    Intel platforms like higher frequency rams so 1600+ would be better. AMD on the otherhand prefer tigher timings.


    Is this still true since the i7's? As I understood it the main reason for this was the FSB memory controller. Now that the memory controller is integrated into the CPU wouldn't lower latency's be more important for both. I'm not certain of this though. What do ya'll think?

    From what i've read the 1333 is best choice for the i7 920-950 then get lowest latency possible for your budget. What CPU are you using?
  5. for 30 bucks more, you can get these lower timings @ 1600 6-8-6-24 and 1T instead of 2T ( I use them in my i7 build)

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226121&cm_re=redline_enhanced_6-_-20-226-121-_-Product
  6. c_for said:
    Is this still true since the i7's? As I understood it the main reason for this was the FSB memory controller. Now that the memory controller is integrated into the CPU wouldn't lower latency's be more important for both. I'm not certain of this though. What do ya'll think?

    From what i've read the 1333 is best choice for the i7 920-950 then get lowest latency possible for your budget. What CPU are you using?



    the i7 950
    but now im thinking of a gigabyte motherboard because i want to overclock and i read it comes with ocing software
    i have never oc and i dont want to *** up my ***
  7. darneac said:
    the i7 950
    but now im thinking of a gigabyte motherboard because i want to overclock and i read it comes with ocing software
    i have never oc and i dont want to *** up my ***


    my next build will be the i7 950. Personally i'm planning on getting the sabertooth x58 for my mobo. Check it out. It's had good reviews for oc'ing and includes sata6GB and usb3.

    Without oc'ing i would recommend the 1333 with the lowest latency possible, however if you are looking to oc i would go with 1600 with again lowest latency possible. I'm looking forward to hearing from someone re: my question of latency vs speed with the i7's. Actually i'm going to start a new for it.

    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/292715-10-speed-latency
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking Motherboards Rampage Product