Closed Solved

Unpgrade to dual graphics cards

Hi i was wondering if i could run dual e-Geforce 9600 gt cards on my computer. I have one 9600 gt to begin with and was wondering if i could get a second. My specs are windows xp, intel pentium 4 3.2 ghz, 2 gb of ram, 460 w power supply, and i have a dell xps gen 4 i'm pretty sure that my motherboard is a DP/N DH686 motherboard that comes with the computer. So would i be able to run a second card and is it worth it.
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about unpgrade dual graphics cards
  1. If your motherboard supports SLi then go for it.

But you need to upgrade that CPU for yours.
  2. do you think i have enough power to run both cards
  3. Best answer
    Anonymous said:
    do you think i have enough power to run both cards

The specs for just one 9600 GT requires a 425 w psu with 28 amps on the 12V rail. You will probably want to upgrade to at least a 600w, preferably one that is SLI certified. Keep in mind you'll need one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector -or- Two 4-pin Molex supplementary power connectors, provided your card comes with an adapter, for each 9600 GT in your system.

Also, pay attention to the power supply's amps per rail. I prefer having a single rail. Check out this PC Power and Cooling 610w with 49 amps on a single rail. Not sure if that will do it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703005

Nvidia has a list of recommend psus based upon various SLI configerations. Granted, yours is a little older and not listed, but it will give you a good idea of what you'll need and what brands they recoomend.

http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build_psu.html
  4. I agree with Bluescreendeath, that pentium 4 is pretty fast but it isn't dual core. If u don't upgrade, then it could bottleneck the GPU performance

I would recommend a Core 2duo but a pentium dual core would work fine.

Good Luck
  5. If your motherboard is socket 775, with a BIOS update and some luck, you might be in order for a core 2 duo. What's the chipset on that motherboard?
  6. Best answer selected by mottongaba.
  7. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Computer Graphics Product