Is it imperative to up voltage?

iatelassie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
Hi all,

I looked into overclocking recently and I just installed an Arctic Cooler rev1.2 on my powerhouse Nvidia GeForce6800 on my 5-year old monster Dell XPS 400. I have upped my megahurtz by 60mhz on both the "Core Clock" and the "Memory Clock" using RivaTuner.

My question is: As long as I keep my temps under control, will I blow up my computer if I continue to increase in overclock speed? I know every computer has a limit--I'm guessing I won't go above 150mhz---I just wnat to know if I need to check voltage or any of that confusing stuff that makes me take my face out of the pretty video games to understand.

Solution
I really dont think a 6800 would have anything related to voltage control without some hard modding.
Just so you know your graphics card does not meet the minimum system requirements for Napoleon Total War (it does in the sense of Shader models, and memory buffer (if you have 256MB of VRAM) however performance wise it doesnt and no overclocking will fix that).

Go here http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/ and do Napoleon Total war and see if you can run it.
Generally, overclocking with no knowledge of what to look for is quite a good way of melting things down.

Why not google "overclocking using rivatuner" and read at least a little. Then come back and sharpen your question a bit.

If not, just keep increasing in tiny increments watching temps very carefully, and nknow how to bypass rivatuner on boot in case you go too far.

iatelassie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
I am not a troll! I was just having some fun with words. The card is a POS and my system is pretty outdated.

twoboxer, I have learned how to use Riva and have looked into the basics of using it. I just want to know if I up my system 150 mhz, if I would need to do something--anything--else that I might not be aware of. My friend told me about voltage but that was the first I heard of it.

I have this system running Fallout3 on almost Ultra settings right now, which is awesome. Still can't run Napoleon: Total War tho. I would like to rev it up as much as it can go (something that nobody here would be able to tell me, i know, increments and testing etc.) I'm just worried that I am ignoring something important, beyond upping the core clock, mem clock, and having a cooling system for my graphics card (which works awesomely).

I really dont think a 6800 would have anything related to voltage control without some hard modding.
Just so you know your graphics card does not meet the minimum system requirements for Napoleon Total War (it does in the sense of Shader models, and memory buffer (if you have 256MB of VRAM) however performance wise it doesnt and no overclocking will fix that).

Go here http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/ and do Napoleon Total war and see if you can run it.

Solution

iatelassie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
Thanks for the reply, Sniper. Systemrequirements does say I can run Napoleon Total War, just barely beyond the minimum. However, I can only up my card to about 130 mhz before the system craps out. O well.

That Artic Cooling Rev1.2 works frigging wonders.