HTPC, Media Center & MCE

coryburgess

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
I wasn't sure where to post this.

I have spent the last couple days trying figure out the best way to setup a nice media server type system for my home. I have vista ultimate on an office pc and xbox360 in my home theater equipment rack.

I have experimented with many different ways of ripping the dvd content and streaming it to the Xbox. The MyMovies 2 software is great for playing true .vob files on the MCPC, but the xbox can't play. I understand that there are transcoders, but I Dont' want to have to go to the office every time.

My goal is to have the media stored on my Nas and be able to distribute it throughout the home with MCE's, but right now I don't really think its possible. Let me take that back, it is possible, if I rip dvd's and convert to MPEG2, but then i don't get cover art or Movie info.

I really want the full experience.

Right now, the MyMovies add on seems like the best rought, but then I have to have a real HTPC for everyzone.

So my 2 questions:

Is there a good way to setup an MCE for easy use and good playback qaulity?

IF NOT...

Could I build a HTPC that basically just had enough HDD space and memory to run Media center, connect to the NAS? I want to make something pretty compact and quiet, similiar to what an MCE is.

I was even wondering if I could get one to run on just RAM, but I couldn't figure out a way to get the MC/OS software supported.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP. I've been reading forums and posts all over the net, but Tom's is always where I find the best help.

coryburgess

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
Okay, so I'm trying to share HOME MOVIES, THAT I MADE, I OWN ALL INTELLECTUAL RIGHTS TO.

I'm trying to determine the best File format to Store this content in and stream it while keeping the highest quality.