Sign in with
Your question

60gb kingston SSD or velociraptor?

Last response: in Storage
October 1, 2010 9:59:30 PM

Im looking at some new HDDs now... anyone been looking at the market recently?

Im stumped i Really dont know what to get... I know i want one high performance drive for games+windows and one for storage.

Which is better for games>>> ..............
Cache- 64mb on a cheap £40 1tb wd green, but only 5200 rpm, enough 4 games?
RPM- 10,000rpm on a velociraptor, and great 300gb but whopping £140 cost
Read/Write- Kingston SSD 200mb/s - 110mb/s but measly 60gb for £90?!?!

I been thinking for performance - a kingston SSD and a WD green 1tb for storage... but i just know im gonna fill 60 gb so fast... is it worth spending the extra for the velociraptor you guys rekkon? What about these WD BLACK drives, they look quite fast for the money?

I dont mind spending the monies if my frame rates are gonna go up a bit... but am i right in thinking id be best off forgetting about SSD and velociraptor and just spending the money instead on a better GPU? then buying say a MUCH cheaper HDD or a WD BLACK drive?

decisions decisions!!
a b G Storage
October 1, 2010 10:41:19 PM

A 60GB SSD will fit your OS and a bit more, but IMO its best to consider that size just an OS drive.

An 80GB drive begins to put you in a place where your active games, and more than you'd think, will fit.

I have a 120GB drive on this machine that shows 70GB used. It has the Win7 OS (15GB), all "driver" programs (12GB of Program Files/Data), plus World of Warcraft (23GB).

Faster disk drives, even an SSD, are NOT going to improve your frame rate. What they may do (besides fast load/level time) is eliminate during-play hitching due to the need for lots of data from the disk. But when I am late for a raid, I boot this machine rather than my main gaming PC (2 x 4 yr old Raptors RAID 0) because I am in-game on-Vent 1-2 min faster.

If you're looking at a single, fast drive . . . this Samsung Spinpoint 1TB for $75 is the best atm:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185&Tpk=samsung%20spinpoint%20f3%20hd103sj

The WD Blacks are good (fast), particularly the older 640GB and the newer 2TB.

Don't use 5400 as your C drive . . . it can make for an annoying machine.
a b G Storage
October 1, 2010 11:49:23 PM

The question is WHICH SSD are you talking about? The Kingston V series is only so so. What you want is the Kingston M series that uses the Intel controller. The Kingston V series is pretty bad as far as SSDs go.

Also, I was unable to find the Kingston 60GB. However I did find a set where they sell 2x30GB kit as 60GB drive.

For an OS drive the most important thing is random read/write, which the Kingston V series fails at: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2968/intel-s-x25-v-kingst...
Do realize that there are 2 different Kingston drives listed. Given the info I have gathered, I'm assuming you have the 2x30GB set which uses the said drive.

@OP: Give direct link to the SSD you are talking about. In any event DO NOT get the WD Green, it's terribly slow imo. Better get a Samsung F3 is you want a lot of storage and good speed.

An HDD/SSD will NOT IMPROVE YOUR FRAME RATES. It will however improve your load times, which for some games matter quite a bit. For example, on FSX it will improve the "smoothness" of the experience due to the faster map/environment loading.
Related resources
October 2, 2010 1:26:34 PM

Thanks for your advice guys.

I havenet actually got these yet its something im planning for my new build, as ive managed to fry a large part of my main OS HDD by attempting to fix one of those XBOX 360 wireless controller recievers. Was a STUPID risk for the sake of £10, but i couldnt wait to play dead rising 2 - WHERE THE DAM CONTROLLER WONT WORK WITH IT ANYWAY?!?! :fou: 

So it looks like... fork out the extra cash and get a velocraptor 300gb, and get an F3 for storage. OR just use F3 for now, and get SSD when they come down in price. i was looking at the Kingston 64GB SSDNow V SSD 2.5" SATA-II - Read = 200MB/sec, Write = 110MB/sec because it was the cheapest SSD.

Sorry mate but you're... a little wrong. some games that are constantly loading benefit massively from faster hdds as they can, and somtimes do, completely stop the action while seeking - effectively giving you 0 FPS at times. Not often though, most games have the high load times when you enter a new area (hello dragon age - 2 year loading times?!?) so this isnt the case.

I will not be buying the eco green now then... dam thought i could help the planet, but seems im still power greedy :??:  lol
a b G Storage
October 2, 2010 3:12:48 PM

Quote:

Sorry mate but you're... a little wrong. some games that are constantly loading benefit massively from faster hdds as they can, and somtimes do, completely stop the action while seeking - effectively giving you 0 FPS at times. Not often though, most games have the high load times when you enter a new area (hello dragon age - 2 year loading times?!?) so this isnt the case.

Hence why I said: "It will however improve your load times, which for some games matter quite a bit. For example, on FSX it will improve the "smoothness" of the experience due to the faster map/environment loading."
However, you don't necessarily have 0fps. It's just that the loading is pausing the frame rates. Post a fraps screen shot.
October 2, 2010 4:07:06 PM

Shadow703793 said:
Quote:

Hence why I said: "It will however improve your load times, which for some games matter quite a bit. For example, on FSX it will improve the "smoothness" of the experience due to the faster map/environment loading."
However, you don't necessarily have 0fps. It's just that the loading is pausing the frame rates. Post a fraps screen shot.

lol... it seems we have a difference in terminology then... if my screen "pauses" and dosen't display anything for a second, id consider that 0fps... i see it as the more smooth the experience is, the more frames my srcreen is displaying per second. Im not worried about numbers from software, i like to see the results lol, game could be running at 200fps for all i care, so long as its smooth and doesn't pause.
a b G Storage
October 2, 2010 7:19:42 PM

^ Yes, but it doesn't talk about fps changes.
a b G Storage
October 2, 2010 9:47:11 PM

I suppose its actually IPS, which is single-digits-per-second during this hitching. I don't experience it any more, so I can't tell if I get high FPS during that slide show.
!