Windows 7

D

Deleted member 3023

As it concerns XP Mode in 7, I was told by AMD tech that "all AMD Phenom processors have hardware AMD-V support which is enabled only if the motherboard w/which the processor is paired w/has the support on the BIOS level."

So my Q is this: which mid-high range ASUS mobo's have AMD-V support?

I ask here because the ASUS website does not have an email addy I can ask this Q. All I can find is a form to fill out, but it asks me for my mobo info (make, model, serial). I just need to know which mobo I should get.

billj214

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
So you are saying that you cannot run in XP mode using an AMD processor unless the motherboard has AMD-V support?

I have never heard of this but I would think the motherboard should make no difference on whether you can run in XP mode! I wonder if the AMD tech is only saying that the AMD-V support can be enabled but is not required. You may not be asking the right questions

Just my 2 cents! :)

I'm not familiar with AMD processors, but this sounds like the equivalent of Intel's virtualization mode which is required for the Virtual PC release for Windows 7.

I'd be surprised if there was a motherboard for a processor that has virtualization mode that the BIOS didn't support, but I suppose it's possible that you might need a BIOS update if it was an older motherboard.

D

Deleted member 3023

Yes, it is the same as Intel's virtualization mode. I was told for XP Mode in Win7 that BOTH CPU & Mobo need to have virtualization built-in.

I did find out that most mobo's that can handle a Phenom/Phenom II CPU will have virtualization mode, which does help me in my choices of mobo.