Sign in with
Your question

Frozen cursor xp

Last response: in Windows XP
August 15, 2011 4:15:16 PM

My Lenovo Laptap had been running perfectly. But now my cursor freezes or disappears after as little as ten minutes, and I have to reboot computer to get it back. Is there a driver I should be downloading? Any other ideas?

More about : frozen cursor

August 15, 2011 5:45:32 PM

Thanx. Guess I should have been more specific, though. Before I posted, I ran Symantec anti-virus, SpyBot, and CCleaner, for good measure. And di a PC diagnostics. No viruses or spyware or computer malfunctions found. I'm stumped.

AntiZig said:
if it works from the start I doubt it's a driver issue

more likely you got a virus / malware, try some of these:

Free anti-virus:
-avast
-AVG
-Microsoft Security Essentials

Free anti-spyware/anti-malware:
-malware bytes
-spybot search & destroy
-super anti-spyware

Free startup utilities:
-McAfee Avert Stinger
-Avira Rescue CD (Tutorial)
-Kaspersky Rescue CD

m
l
Related resources
August 15, 2011 7:56:55 PM

ok, lets see,

are you using a touchpad or external mouse?

does the keyboard still work while mouse pointer have frozen?

when you say disappear, what does setting the ctrl find key and hitting it do?
m
l
August 15, 2011 8:50:36 PM

first one is only one that's easy to answer. Both -- not a touchpad, but the button in the center of the keyboard. And an external mouse. Don't know whether keyboard still works when cursor frozen or gone -- never thought to try. And right now the cursor is working so can't try the others. (BTW -- what's the Find key? Don't see such an animal on the keyboard. Only Fn, which is Function key, no?)

AntiZig said:
ok, lets see,

are you using a touchpad or external mouse?

does the keyboard still work while mouse pointer have frozen?

when you say disappear, what does setting the ctrl find key and hitting it do?

m
l
August 16, 2011 12:42:27 PM

Okay, it finally froze again -- lasted more than an hour this time, though, great progress! And the answer is no, the keyboard doesn't work, couldn't use it to turn computer off or anything. Still curious about find key, though? Is that a Mac thing?
m
l
August 16, 2011 3:25:07 PM

the find key is an option in mouse settings in control panel (control panel > mouse > pointer options > visibility > show location of pointer when I press the CTRL key)

it's helpful if as you say, mouse pointer disappears, if it doesn't and it's just frozen, plus the keyboard doesn't work, then obviously this isn't helpful.

ok, so if neither the keyboard nor mouse are working, you're shutting the computer down via power button to tell it to do a proper shutdown or do you have to hold it for 5-10 seconds to forcefully power off? If it's the latter then your windows is hard freezing, which indicates a problem with something else other than mouse/keyboard.

this isn't a driver issue, because for instance the keyboard should work regardless of driver.

Ok, so if we assume that there's no malware.

The two options left are
1. windows fault (might be solved by doing a repair re-install of windows)
2. hardware problem

hardware is a little harder to diagnose it could be from motherboard going bad to some contacts becoming oxidized or otherwise faulty, etc. Overall you'll have to contact Lenovo for service, especially if it's still on warranty. First, I would try to reinstall windows though.
m
l
August 16, 2011 3:42:56 PM

Thanx, Antizig. i have a strong suspicion that it is indeed a hardware problem. And it's long off warranty. Something tells me I should big my laptop a wistful farewell and replace it with something fast and cheap. Really just use it for email and internet search -- when i get serious about working, I sit at the trusty old desktop
m
l
August 17, 2011 6:21:10 PM

I don't know if this is the case and I know this may sound stupid, and I don't know how this is connected, but I had my keyboard, mouse and touchpad not working, all together, and tried a bunch of stuff, none of them worked, but I read somewhere to try and take my battery out. Did that, and they started working again. I have no idea what the connection is between them, and also disabled the ACPI compliant control under battery under device manager,and the touchpad and keyboard worked for a while without the battery, at least until I had the time to copy my files and reinstall Windows.
:hello: 

m
l
August 18, 2011 1:21:04 AM

me 1 said:
I don't know if this is the case and I know this may sound stupid, and I don't know how this is connected, but I had my keyboard, mouse and touchpad not working, all together, and tried a bunch of stuff, none of them worked, but I read somewhere to try and take my battery out. Did that, and they started working again. I have no idea what the connection is between them, and also disabled the ACPI compliant control under battery under device manager,and the touchpad and keyboard worked for a while without the battery, at least until I had the time to copy my files and reinstall Windows.
:hello: 

Doesn't sound stupid at all. My battery is completely dead, I only use the laptop on plug. Never occurred to me that leaving the dead battery in there might be hurting anything. I'll see if I can figure out how to remove it. Can't hurt, after all. Thanks!
m
l
!