CD ROM not reading discs

Tags:
  • DVD Drives
  • Virus
  • CD-Rom
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
October 1, 2010 11:08:22 PM

My computer is not reading any discs. I believe I had a virus that caused it. The virus is gone, but damage is done, I guess.
It is a Dell Dimension 8200 with a LTR-24102M disc drive. I replaced the drive, thinking the damage was internal. But, when I insert a disc it still does nothing; when I try to run it, I get the message "Please insert the correct CD-ROM, select OK and restart application. It's reading nothing... Is there an affordable solution?

More about : rom reading discs

Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 1, 2010 11:16:19 PM

Check that the drive is being detected in the BIOS (press Del key as the computer boots). If not check the cables.

If ithe drive is present in the BIOS then go to Windows Settings, Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager and see if the drive is listed or yellow flagged as faulty.

I would always test a CD drive with an audio CD and Windows Media Player to see if, at least, that can be played.

If the virus is gone there should be no permanent damage to the computer, though is there a possibility that the BIOS is affected and it might be worth reflashing it ?
m
l
a b G Storage
October 1, 2010 11:24:01 PM

What application are you trying to run when you get that message?

Do you have the Dell Backup/Recovery disk?
m
l
October 12, 2010 3:58:14 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up reflashing the Registry to solve the problem.
m
l
!