krickerd

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
I've tried 2 audio interface boxes for use with recording analog signals and neither have worked plugged directly into my usb ports on my motherboard. I am toying with the idea of getting a USB card, hoping it will be faster / have more bandwidth. Is there a difference in performance on USB interface cards between PCI vs. PCIE? The specs look the same to me.

TonCharr28

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
There's no difference, but I suggest you get a PCI USB card, and save your PCIe slots for the more "important" stuff.

I'd look into that mobo USB problem though, could be a sign that there's something wrong with your motherboard.

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
Hi K

The PCIe has better bandwidth. Since PCI Express is a serial based technology, data can be sent over the bus in two directions at once. Normal PCI is Parallel, and as such all data goes in one direction. PCI Express bandwidth is not shared the same way as in PCI, so there is less congestion on the bus.

While that is true, the extra bandwidth is useless in this case. Both PCI and PCI-E have more bandwidth than USB, and thus the bandwidth of the slot will not matter for overall throughput. However, the best solution might be to use a PCI or PCI-E sound card, and avoid USB altogether. That would give the highest bandwidth.