Different name for CPU multiplier in the Bios?

fcdwn777

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Hey. I recently built a new computer and wanted to start overclocking. I was reading the AMD Black Edition overclocking guide here on Toms Hardware, making sure to follow it step by step. I got to the part where it said to increase my multiplier by .5 and see if it boots. So I went into the bios and for the life of me could not find anything labeled "CPU multiplier" or anything like that. I have an Asus board and checked everywhere in the tweaker area and was quite lost as to what I should have been looking for. Is there another common name for the cpu multiplier that I should know about? I saw that changing the dram frequency could also change my cpu speed, but it also changed my ram speed and the numbers did not seem to match up to what the guide was talking about. I am trying to avoid using the Asus overdrive application and do it properly through the bios. Thanks.

Solution
I wish manufacturers and users would have standardized technical terms to describe parts and features.

The core speed (CPU GHz) is obtained by the Bus Speed (adjustable) multiplied by the "Multiplier" which in most cases if fixed (Non-adjustable Multiplier)

In my case, I have an Intel i7-920 CPU with a fixed multiplier of 21 - I have raised the Bus Speed to 182. This gives me 182x21 = 3.82GHz CPU speed.

Then there is the RAM multiplier, sometimes referred to as RAM ratio. This multiplier must be set at the LOWEST setting (maybe 8) before doing any overclocking. The reason for this is because the RAM frequency also increases as the CPU speed is increased, and you do not want to exceed the RAM manufacturer's rated speed. Underclocking...
I wish manufacturers and users would have standardized technical terms to describe parts and features.

The core speed (CPU GHz) is obtained by the Bus Speed (adjustable) multiplied by the "Multiplier" which in most cases if fixed (Non-adjustable Multiplier)

In my case, I have an Intel i7-920 CPU with a fixed multiplier of 21 - I have raised the Bus Speed to 182. This gives me 182x21 = 3.82GHz CPU speed.

Then there is the RAM multiplier, sometimes referred to as RAM ratio. This multiplier must be set at the LOWEST setting (maybe 8) before doing any overclocking. The reason for this is because the RAM frequency also increases as the CPU speed is increased, and you do not want to exceed the RAM manufacturer's rated speed. Underclocking the RAM by a small amount is perfectly acceptable. In fact, my 1600 MHz RAM is underclocked to 1452 MHz.

Hope this helps.

Solution