Intermittent Failure to Post - One Long Beep

onefear

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
Built the following:

GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz
G.SKILL 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) F3-10666CL7T-3GBPK
SAPPHIRE 100259L Radeon HD 4870 512MB

When I boot, the machine won't post. LED, Fans on, HDD whir, 6 seconds, then one long beep. I've never waited for the beep to end (7 sec)

Award BIOS codes are the following:

Q: What do the beeps emitted during the POST mean?
A: The following Award BIOS beep code descriptions may help you identify possible computer problems.
(For reference only.)
1 short: System boots successfully
2 short: CMOS setting error
1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error
1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error
1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error
1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error
Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly
Continuous short beeps: Power error

I have reseated the GPU and still get the error intermittently. Should I RMA the GPU?

Thoughts and help appreciated. Thanks!

ianculverhouse

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Just wondering if you solved this problem? I have exactly the same problem with my system at the moment. I have the following Hardware:

Gigabyte ga-ex58 ud3r MOBO
Intel i7 920 CPU
Corsair Triple channel DDR3 RAM 3 x 2GB sticks
Seagate 640GB HDD
NVidia GeForce GTX275 864mb Graphics card

I tool get random failure to POST. The system speaker lets out a horrendous 7sec long beep, followed by a pause (approx equal length) then a repeat 7sec beep.

I have tried to reseat the Graphics Card, I still get the error. I have swapped slots on the mother board, still get the same beep. I then went on to try a Nvidia Quadro 7 series card, and still get the same error.

I have ran Memtest with no errors being found, I have replaced all cables and checked connections.

On the rare occasions when the system will boot, I am getting random BSOD's with either a Memory Management error, Page_Fault_In_Non_Paged_Area or a IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. These BSOD's occur when I am putting the system through anything that requires graphics intensive resources (such as 3D CAD rendering software).

The only thing I have not changed is the MOBO, could it be a problem with the slots that the graphics cards are plugging into causing all this headache???