Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Just got my new SSD...is it good enough (6.7)WinRating...

Last response: in Storage
October 2, 2010 12:39:56 AM

ok so i just installed my ssd and win 7 on it.

immediately i ran to do a Win rating test cause u know...i mean i notice its fast but i havent installed any of my major work progs like adobe suite etc............

no games etc............

so overall, my other Win ratings are the same .... and before, my win rating was 5.4 based on my hdd......everything else was high

its now

procc 7.2
ram 7.2
graphics 7.6
gaming graphics 7.6

hard disk....went from 5.4 to 6.7

is that a good jump? a good reasonable jump?

also, now that i have this up n running, is there anything i should do to give it a boost or to make it run properly....i keep reading something about achi orSOMEthing like that..............im a noob learning.

thanks in advaced

edit*** sry
i got a 64g kingston V series (whats on the box)

More about : ssd good winrating

a b G Storage
October 2, 2010 1:29:18 AM

I've never cared about the Winx numbers, but at your request I took a look. With a 120GB OCX Vertex, the HD rating is 7.4

m
l
a b G Storage
October 2, 2010 2:21:10 AM

If the Win rating test had any real value it would have put the SSD at 67, not 6.7. :D 
m
l
Related resources
a c 353 G Storage
October 2, 2010 4:15:01 AM

Although I concur WIE is not a good benchmark. It does provide some relavence.
Most SSDs range from about 7.2 to 7.8/7.9 (Only some of the newer ones are hitting the 7.9. Most "good ones" get from about 7.4 to 7.7

Forgetting that HDDs are limited to 5.9 pretty much and that SSDs are considerably faster and should probably score higher. The Kingston is on the low end of SSDs and deserves the 6.7 rating. Been a couple of threads on this SSD and it's performance compared to other SSds.

Mine
Intel 80 gig G2 varies from 7.4 -> 7.8
Torqx 128 gig arround 7.3 -> 7.4
WD blue around 7.1 (Not much better than Kingston)
GSkill Pheonix pro 7.4 (Need to redo using Intel RST driver as Seq reads/writes and 512k read/writes are low using uSoft default AHCI driver.
Intel 80 G1, not sure stuck in my notebook.
m
l
October 2, 2010 9:40:26 AM

hmmmm....now................id feel kinda bad about this purchase but.............
this isFAST....hella fast lmao..opens my CS5 suite.....photoshop for instance in like 2 seconds ahahahhaahahh

i DEF can see a considerable speed increase...and i DEF notice the difference.

funny thing is that...........it was between the kingston and some OCZ drive of the same size.

i WAS gonna go with OCZ..............but the box on the Kingston was SEXY as hell so i went with kingston lol

this is the one i got......

right now i could NOT be happier
http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
October 2, 2010 9:50:31 AM

Benchmarks only ever makes you feel like something is wrong and you question if you should be getting more performance. I benchmarked the drive when I first got mine, but then I decided that I really didn't care if it pulled 80MB/s or 120MB/s. It made my WD Caviar Black look like a pile of junk either way.
October 2, 2010 10:00:27 AM

Best answer selected by somdow.
m
l
October 2, 2010 10:08:56 AM

lmfao.....i couldnt agree more......i have a mixture of drives....and my system aint no slouch either but wao..............
it feels completely diff...........

im running a (as far as my innards)

amd quad@ 2.8s
1 external W.digital 1.5tb hd
1 650 gig 7500 hd
1 250 gig " hd.

GTX 470
on a asus m4a785-m

so i was VERY happy with it to begin with.....

adding this SSD...man................wao.................

thanks alot fellas.
income time comes, ill be upgrading to a bigger on lol....60 gigs wentFAST lol
m
l
a b G Storage
October 2, 2010 4:12:19 PM

Well 6.7 is alright. My Intel X25-M gets a 7.8 in WEI, but its known for good access times and speeds. Either way, an SSD is world faster then an HDD.
m
l
October 17, 2010 11:54:30 AM

i know numbers dont mean anything and you guys swayed me proper but...but ........MAN i took it back to the store lol. i RAN back there.....plus the 60 was cutting TOO tight so...guess it was the perfect excuse lol. so i took it back and
got me a 90g ocz agility..........thing jumped up from 6.7 or 6.9 whatever it was to a 7.7

im more relaxed now lol
m
l
a b G Storage
October 17, 2010 3:18:49 PM

^Well you got a much higher performing drive :) . You might notice any real world performance or you might not.
m
l
!