Need to get my second 1.5TB HD to work

Redskins

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
I using a Corsair SSD for my Boot drive and I have a second 1.5TB drive that is not working as of yet. Some one told me that I would need to format it first but, not sure how to do it. If there is another way to get it up and running it would be great thanks Coach Jones

You need to go into administrative tools, computer management and select disk management and it will give you a list of all hard drives installed. You should be able to see it there and right click on it and choose format. You can assign a drive letter you want there as well.

After you are done you will be able to see the new disk in your my computer menu.

Cheers!

Redskins

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010

You were rite on the money I had it working in less then 4 minutes with your help thanks. I am going to install the i7980X PU to up grade from the i7950 also add the second XFX ATI Radeon 5870 graphics card. I have never build a computer like this so I will need help getting Crossfire mode running.. Thanks again for your help. Coach Jones

If you already have the I7950 I would hold off upgrading to the I7980X for now unless you really don't mind overpaying for that processor. Once Intel releases the next wave of cpus the price of that chip will go down, It may be a year or so before you really see the price drop where it needs to be but I think you will save 100's of dollars playing the waiting game.

Your cpu will do fine even with the crossfire if you OC that cpu to its potential. Try OC'ing 1st and go from there.

You have a sweet system as it is. I used to have to get the latest of the greatest. I have an 8800GTX ACS3 video card that I paid 600 bucks for over 3 years ago and now its about 1/4 to 1/3 the performance capacity of the same priced cards today.

You will find settling on the sweet spot of price/performance on hardware is a much better investment and still quite a fun hobby. The money you will save can be used to get a nice set of tires for your truck or a new water heater when it goes out, lol.

I'm glad you were able to get your hard drive installed. =D

Redskins

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
Thanks for the input when I built the system I wanted to build a computer that would not just be out dated in a year. It would seem the only thing holding my speed down is my SSD most of the scores are 7.8 or 7.5 the lowest score data transfer 7.3 so my score 7.3 is pretty good. For my first computer I built myself I did OK !!!! So many people seem to have problems with the ASUS Rampage III Extreme MB. I put the whole thing together in a couple of hours. If I would have done it before maybe could have done it in 45min it was too easy.. Thanks for your help with the hard drive just the way you explained it was rite on. Thanks

Redskins

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
Thanks for all the help every one yes the 1.5 TB hard drive has been working now for a week or more. I up graded my SSD to a 6GB 128MB Brought a USB adapter kit with a CD rom to clone my old SSD installed it. Now my computer is complete. I feel very lucky that I had no problems at all for my first build. I did read some stories about people having problems with the ASUS Rampage III Extreme Motherboard I had zero problems. What took me the longest was hooking up all the wires from the tower to the MB correctly. I have a joystick but, need to get a device to control my motorcycle game. It is very hard to drive it with the key board.. Thanks every one for your help...