RAID driver question/XP install

lucifugerofocale

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
I am about to have a new PC put together with a Gigabyte GA-EX58-EXTREME motherboard. I am planning to install Windows XP Professional SP3. The motherboard has RAID potential, my question is: XP used to insist that you had RAID drivers on a floppy disk at installation time as they were NOT on the XP disk. ..is this STILL the case these days? Or, are RAID drivers universally on XP? I'm hoping to hear the required RAID drivers are definitely on the XP installation disk.

The reason i ask is I wont need to get a floppy drive if its not required for RAID driver installation.

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
it is my understanding that you can use a cd or usb drive with vista and win7, unlike xp that forces you to use floppy

raid drivers are not integrated because they are proprietary to the individual motherboard

mikey5802

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009

Raid drivers do not come with Windows XP (no service pack), they come supplied by your MOBO vendor. You need SP2 to have the RAID drivers available from XP. You can slipstream SP2 by clicking here:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

bilbat

Splendid
I always recommend to everyone that they include a floppy in every build.
0 - they're cheap insurance, and if you don't want to sacrifice the space, you can combine one with a 'stick reader': http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813998514
1 - they make RAID/AHCI driver loading a breeze...
2 - they simplify BIOS flashing...
3 - they are excellent for storing 'offloaded' BIOS CMOS 'profiles' (created by the invaluable <F11><F12> save CMOS functions) in case of a flash (which erases the stored profiles) or a serious crash...
4 - there is a 'blind flash' procedure that will sometimes recover a screwed up BIOS flash, or BIOS curruption, but it only has a chance to work if you A: have a floppy, and B: have your floppy somewhere in the 'boot order', as, once things 'go bad', you won't be able to add it to the boot order, 'cause you won't be able to enter the BIOS!