Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CPU cooler fan speeds not matching up.

Last response: in Overclocking
October 28, 2010 6:37:17 AM

Hey everyone. I recently purchased a hyper 212+ for overclocking and bought another matching fan for a push pull config. I downloaded speedfan so I could see the speeds they are spinning at and adjust as needed. According to speedfan, one of my cpu fans is spinning at around 1960 rpm and the other at 14 RPM. Now I am new to this but that does not seem right to me. Shouldnt they both be spinning at the same speed? And isnt 14 rpm extremely low? They are both plugged into 3 pins on the mobo. Also, I can figure how to change the speed of the slower fan in speedfan, I have tried messing with things but cant figure it out.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 28, 2010 2:01:26 PM

OK first of all what is your mobo????? when you say matching fan is it from coolermaster or some other brand??????? specify the brand and model...........
m
l
a c 120 à CPUs
a c 183 K Overclocking
October 28, 2010 4:42:09 PM

Plug the fan that came with your cooler in the cpu_fan header and the other in a chassis fan header.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 29, 2010 9:42:26 AM

specify the mobo and the fan and i can help u with the problem..........
m
l
October 29, 2010 11:38:17 AM

davcon said:
Plug the fan that came with your cooler in the cpu_fan header and the other in a chassis fan header.

I will give this a try. I have them both plugged into the mobo atm and one is blowing noticeably stronger then the other.
m
l
a c 120 à CPUs
a c 183 K Overclocking
October 29, 2010 1:46:44 PM

fcdwn777 said:
I will give this a try. I have them both plugged into the mobo atm and one is blowing noticeably stronger then the other.

Makes sense that one operates at a higher rpm since the 212+ comes with only one fan.
Unless you perfectly matched two identical fans this would be expected.
m
l

Best solution

October 29, 2010 1:55:04 PM

its because you probably have 1 of them plugged into a 3 pin socket whereas the other is plugged into the CPU header

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

get that and plug both fans into that and then put that into your CPU fan header and boom they are 100% synced and controled by the mobo. (i just got that splitter and it works like a charm)
October 29, 2010 5:32:19 PM

jasonp12 said:
its because you probably have 1 of them plugged into a 3 pin socket whereas the other is plugged into the CPU header

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

get that and plug both fans into that and then put that into your CPU fan header and boom they are 100% synced and controled by the mobo. (i just got that splitter and it works like a charm)

Sounds like just the solution I was looking for, I will do that for sure. Probably drop the temp of my comp some too once the fan gets going to its normal levels.
m
l
October 29, 2010 5:32:27 PM

Best answer selected by fcdwn777.
m
l
!