Accelero Xtreme 5970

srzvenski555

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Just picked up the Accelero Extreme for my 5970 and noticed the cooler already has thermal paste applied. Would it benefit if I removed the existing paste and applied Arctic Silver 5 compound? Exactly how much paste needs to be applied? If anyone has had any success with this cooler I'd appreciate any feedback.

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
I would use the Arctic Silver you have.

However they put Arctic MX-2 on it which is fairly comparable to AS5. If you feel uncomfortable cleaning and applying AS5 to the heatsink then the paste it came applied with would be sufficient. The below site talks on their differences if you're in the mood for some reading, it links so some other tests in the thread as well.

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/f151/artic-silver-5-vs-artic-cooling-112395.html

Solution

srzvenski555

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Thanks for your feedback. It didn't occur to me that Arctic MX-2 was comparable to Arctic Silver 5. I generally use isopropyl alcohol when removing existing thermal paste from previous applications. I'm expecting my card to arrive any moment via post and feel a little nervous with the install. I've noticed quite a few people have destroyed there dvi ports due to over tightening of the x-clamps. It would be helpful to hear from someone who's had success with there installation. Thanks again

TRENDING THREADS