Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Never buy Dell Optiplex 280

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
August 26, 2009 8:32:43 AM

I have Dell Optiplex 280 which i have bought used from the market
3GHz 1GB RAM and 40GB HD
When i brought to room i noticed that its fan was making a lot of noise all the times and almost never slows down, sound is like hell and it makes me annoyed
I searched on net and found lot of people having same problem but none of them had a solution
On the downloads of Dell website there is a line about this board that installing latest audio driver will solve the problem (sounds like weird) but actually it did not
Anyone will tell me the solution

More about : buy dell optiplex 280

a b V Motherboard
August 26, 2009 9:02:31 AM

What do you mean "bought used from the market"? Is it second-hand?

What exactly was the fan that makes noise?
m
0
l
August 26, 2009 9:23:06 AM

any fan can be replaced with low noise fans, assuming you are correct that it is fan noise.
m
0
l
Related resources
August 26, 2009 1:00:33 PM

you could have stopped with "Never buy Dell". Just figure out which fan it is (probably case fan) and buy a new fan or oil the existing one.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
August 26, 2009 1:05:13 PM

I don't know how some people get out of bed and put their socks on by themselves in the morning, really. Why don't just uh, buy another fan, maybe?
m
0
l
August 27, 2009 3:28:36 AM

no its not fan itself (even dell website admit this is problem with board)
i asked a computer hardware shop
he told me its ur mother board chip which is making fan to run so fast and its problem with almost all optiplex280 pcs
i asked him to change chip but he refused and asked me to change board
m
0
l
August 27, 2009 3:30:56 AM

also wanna add, there is no option for fan settings in bios and i have lattest bios A08 which i downloaded from dell website
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
August 27, 2009 5:24:07 AM

Have you tried using a fan control software? e.g. SpeedFan
m
0
l
August 27, 2009 5:27:48 AM

there is no such thing as fans that run too fast...there are fans that will make lots of noise at full speed, and fans that are quiet at full speed. Replace the noisy fan with a quiet one...problem solved.
m
0
l
August 27, 2009 8:21:12 AM

This is the link where dell admit this problem with the board (its board not fan)
Installing new drivers, changing fan did not worked
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...
I dont know why all people in this forum taunt, instead of helping
@masterjaw I used speedfan but it did not help me
It give me the current temp and speed of fan but does not control the speed (perhaps bios dont allow it to do)
m
0
l
August 27, 2009 8:24:48 AM

jitpublisher said:
I don't know how some people get out of bed and put their socks on by themselves in the morning, really.

Are u talking about ur self?
m
0
l
August 27, 2009 8:45:46 AM

okay, I'll try this one more time, then I give up. The Dell link confirms the problem is a noisy fan because its running too fast. Okay, we all agree on that. The problem is the stock fan is not a low noise fan, and it is meant to run slow most of the time to keep the noise down. Now, can we agree that the speed of the fan really isn't the problem, because you can never have too much air flow, its the noise that is the problem. SOOOO....if you replace that fan with a fan that was meant to run at high speeds and still be quiet, then you really wouldn't have a problem, would you? When I replace the fan, I don't mean just grab any fan...get one that is rated for 2000rpm with a db rating under 30...something like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
August 27, 2009 12:39:29 PM

It might be design flaw in the mobo pushing too much voltage to fan headers causing them to run at excessive speeds. Solution - fan like belial2k linked above powered directly from PSU via 3-pin to 4-pin molex adapter
m
0
l
August 30, 2009 5:52:07 PM

belial2k said:
okay, I'll try this one more time, then I give up. The Dell link confirms the problem is a noisy fan because its running too fast. Okay, we all agree on that. The problem is the stock fan is not a low noise fan, and it is meant to run slow most of the time to keep the noise down. Now, can we agree that the speed of the fan really isn't the problem, because you can never have too much air flow, its the noise that is the problem. SOOOO....if you replace that fan with a fan that was meant to run at high speeds and still be quiet, then you really wouldn't have a problem, would you? When I replace the fan, I don't mean just grab any fan...get one that is rated for 2000rpm with a db rating under 30...something like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Ok it may help me But where can i find information/specifications of fan which not only with that specifications as u told but also fit in my small casing of optiplex280, is written on fans? (when purchased)
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
August 31, 2009 12:33:33 AM

Physically examine the fan you have now. Measure its dimensions - the fan in the link is 120mm, which is large. Most come in sizes like 80mm, 100mm, etc.

You should be able to access Dell's parts for that computer by logging in with your service tag - that list may include the size and other info on the fan.

Once you know the size of the fan, look for the hi-speed specs like the one in the link and get a new one. The new fan should plug right in as the other one did. If this Dell model allows you to disable the case-closed switch, do that, it'll make messing with it easier.

If you order from Dell, you'll likely pay way too much and the fan may be identical.
m
0
l

Best solution

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 15, 2009 10:46:01 PM

I recently had the issues with several GX 280s at my job, where either powering on the PC or doing huge calculations in applications like Excel and it sounds like the fan would take off like a jet.

I believe one of the main causes is the silicon thermal compound between the CPU and heat sink has dried out.


I ended up removing the following:

- Stock Fan (cleaning it with compressed air).
- Heat Sink (cleaned EXTREMELY Dry Thermal Compound)


I also wiped off the Thermal Compound from the CPU as well.

Reapplied Arctic Silver Thermal Paste, re-attached the stock heatsink & fan..... and the fan has been operating quietly for a few days now.

Hope this helps.
Share
a b V Motherboard
September 16, 2009 2:39:54 AM

Great info Markuss. And one many wouldn't think of.

Since few would test their fan speed or such on a Dell as a baseline, they wouldn't know that suddenly the fan is running 3 times as fast and causing the issue. They'd naturally think as most here did, that the fan had suddenly gone bad.

Creating a file with the baseline specs of our systems "out of the box" is a good idea for all of us. Save the files, converted to text, where it won't be lost or print it out and stick inside the case even. Even put on a CD and tape it to the inside of the case.
m
0
l
October 30, 2009 10:02:47 AM

Quote:
I recently had the issues with several GX 280s at my job, where either powering on the PC or doing huge calculations in applications like Excel and it sounds like the fan would take off like a jet.

I believe one of the main causes is the silicon thermal compound between the CPU and heat sink has dried out.


I ended up removing the following:

- Stock Fan (cleaning it with compressed air).
- Heat Sink (cleaned EXTREMELY Dry Thermal Compound)


I also wiped off the Thermal Compound from the CPU as well.

Reapplied Arctic Silver Thermal Paste, re-attached the stock heatsink & fan..... and the fan has been operating quietly for a few days now.

Hope this helps.



Thanks Mr./Miss I went to market to buy the thermal gel
I asked almost every shop (nearly 20 total in plaza) none of them had it
They told me they used to keep it but nobody bought it from us so we no more keep it
It my be available in a bigger city
However thanks
I took my pc to sale it and guy bought it in Rs.3000 while i bought it in Rs.8000
He did not give me price of mother board coz he told that it is the main problem with optiplex 280 (not all pieces but too many peices have same problem) and my RAM was burnt inside it so no price for burnt RAM
m
0
l
October 30, 2009 10:08:35 AM

Thanks all, although my problem was not solved board once again went to a non-boot state
However thanks everyone
I took my pc to sale it and guy bought it in Rs.3000 while i bought it in Rs.8000
He did not give me price of mother board coz he told that it is the main problem with optiplex 280 (not all pieces but too many peices have same problem) and my RAM was burnt inside it so no price for burnt RAM (RAM did not went out of order due to fan, this is a separate story)
Conclusion: Optiplex 280 is not a good board please dont buy it or at least make it sure it dont cause noise while on purchasing
m
0
l
November 10, 2009 3:44:20 AM

I have to disagree with this assessment, as we bought several from an INGO firesale, and they are great hunks of old iron. We have them running Win7 after upgrading the ram, and they are workhorses.

Ps.If anyone knows how to hackintosh these, please let me know:) 
m
0
l
November 29, 2009 4:38:11 PM

1850695,19,297242 said:
Thanks all, although my problem was not solved board once again went to a non-boot state
However thanks everyone
I took my pc to sale it and guy bought it in Rs.3000 while i bought it in Rs.8000
He did not give me price of mother board coz he told that it is the main problem with optiplex 280 (not all pieces but too many peices have same problem) and my RAM was burnt inside it so no price for burnt RAM (RAM did not went out of order due to fan, this is a separate story)
Conclusion: Optiplex 280 is not a good board please dont buy it or at least make it sure it dont cause noise while on purchasing[/quote

i have optilex GX280,and it has 1.10 A08 bios and 775 LGA socket,can i put dual core processor in it?
P.S:its in a tower casing
its already pentium 4 HT presscott,
DDR2 tech,
m
0
l
October 1, 2011 10:39:24 AM

herojig said:
I have to disagree with this assessment, as we bought several from an INGO firesale, and they are great hunks of old iron. We have them running Win7 after upgrading the ram, and they are workhorses.

Ps.If anyone knows how to hackintosh these, please let me know:) 


You had to disagree because you did not face the problem.

Now I have to disagree with you because I am facing this problem....

Is there Any body with the SOLUTION???
m
0
l
November 28, 2011 5:11:08 PM

asalam o alayqum

i have dell gx 280 sometime my pc well working sometime during working is goes hang then i restart pc fan start loudly and no booting system can any body tell me this solution
thanks & best regard
m
0
l
!