First stable OC, need some feedback.

fcdwn777

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Hola all. I just completed my first stable OC and want to make sure everything checks out. The only settings that were changed were the cpu multiplier and voltage. With my Phenom ii x4 955 BE I was able to reach 3.8 by increasing my voltage to 1.45. It seemed stable after running prime95. With lower voltages I would get a BSOD and the comp would reset. I am on air cooling and am running around 36c idle and 55c full load. I dont ever plan on actually bringing my cpu to full load with my regular use. Does all this sound ok?

One additional question I have is, a friend of mine told me that if I change my cpu voltage to OC, then I will need to OC my ram too. I dont know if this is true or not since I am new to overclocking and have only looked into CPU OCing, not ram yet. Should I be looking into OCing my ram now since I OC'd my cpu? The ram I am using is 4 gigs of ddr3 1600mhz gskill ripjaws.

Solution
you only have to be concerned with your memory if you don't have an unlocked multiplier. there are (basically) 2 ways to overclock.

1) increase your FSB which overclocks your memory and processor (you need better/more expensive memory modules and a cheaper CPU)
2) buy an unlocked multiplier (buy a more expensive cpu and cheaper memory modules)

since you did not increase your FSB to achieve your overclock, you will not have to change/increase your voltage/timings/etc.

sepayne21

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
you only have to be concerned with your memory if you don't have an unlocked multiplier. there are (basically) 2 ways to overclock.

1) increase your FSB which overclocks your memory and processor (you need better/more expensive memory modules and a cheaper CPU)
2) buy an unlocked multiplier (buy a more expensive cpu and cheaper memory modules)

since you did not increase your FSB to achieve your overclock, you will not have to change/increase your voltage/timings/etc.

Solution

fcdwn777

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Thanks for the replies guys, from what I know my CPU is unlocked. And I am definately noticing the difference in games goin from 3.2 to 3.8. Not to mention my jump form a dual core to a quad.

TRENDING THREADS