Sign in with
Your question

Should I get a 2nd GTX 260 for $155?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 6, 2009 2:01:46 AM

Hey folks! So I was just about to buy CoD World at War from NewEgg with a $20 discount I have... After tax, it would cost me $30 total for the game. But then I was thinking, with some of the current rebates and free CoD offers NewEgg has going on, I could basically get CoD for $30, plus I could get a second GTX 260 Core 216 for $155 total.

^ (These prices I mention are grand total, after any applicable rebates, shipping costs, tax, discounts)

I don't play any graphics/performance intensive games at the moment, just some WoW and i'd be playing CoD of course, so running SLI won't be much of an improvement i'm sure, but i'm trying to decide if $155 for a second GTX 260 Core 216 is worth it for the future...

Here are my specs:
Case: Antec Nine Hundred
Processor: Intel i7 920 (OC'd to ~ 3.01GHz)
CPU Cooler: Xigmatek DK-S1283V
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P
Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 260 Core 216
Hard Drive: WD Caviar 640GB, 7200RPM, 32mb cache
Power Supply: Corsair 750TX
Memory: OCZ Gold 6GB DDR 1600
CD/DVD: LG 22x DVDR Burner

Current Monitor: Acer X223W (1680x1050)

So, any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

More about : 2nd gtx 260 155

April 6, 2009 2:52:52 AM

Hmm tough decision. With the games you currently play you would not see much a difference. If you have the money to spare go ahead and get it.Far cry 2 and crysis really benefited from a second card and I am sure some of the newer games comming out would really benefit.
April 6, 2009 6:34:46 PM

chef7734 said:
Hmm tough decision. With the games you currently play you would not see much a difference. If you have the money to spare go ahead and get it.Far cry 2 and crysis really benefited from a second card and I am sure some of the newer games comming out would really benefit.

Yeah, hmm....!
Related resources
April 6, 2009 6:55:49 PM

I have the same build as you and play farcry 2 everything maxed except 4xAA @ 1920x1080 it pretty smooth.. So I would say at your res it might be a waste to go sli. If you ever plan to play crysis. maybe there is warrant for it but why buy a second card for that game?

I have been pondering almost the same question. I would love to go to full AA on far cry without sluggishness but I have looked at it both ways and can't tell a difference to my eyes so I am opting to save the money. If I had bought a higher res monitor I probably would have gone with another card.
April 6, 2009 7:41:52 PM

COD5 isn't that intensive of a game (and WoW is a joke) - a single 260 is enough for it, especially at your resolution. I'm agreeing - sli here is a waste.
April 6, 2009 10:32:36 PM

Essentially, COD WAW = COD 5. That's what everyone has called it since inception.
a c 106 U Graphics card
April 6, 2009 11:09:46 PM

If you plan onplaying a graphic intensive games in the near future (like 2-5 months) then sure go ahead and pick up that 260 sp 216 since thats a great price for it. If not, then by the time you need the power of dual 260s (like a 2 years or so I'd guess if you're just playing games like WOW and COD WAW) DX11 cards will be out and by then you may be able to get something almost as fast and that two GPU solution for $160 plus DX11 capability, or pick up a second 260 sp 216 then and it will probably be less than $155.
April 7, 2009 12:29:32 AM

frozenlead said:
COD5 isn't that intensive of a game (and WoW is a joke) - a single 260 is enough for it, especially at your resolution. I'm agreeing - sli here is a waste.

You missed 'for the future'. :p 

megamanx00 said:
If you plan onplaying a graphic intensive games in the near future (like 2-5 months) then sure go ahead and pick up that 260 sp 216 since thats a great price for it. If not, then by the time you need the power of dual 260s (like a 2 years or so I'd guess if you're just playing games like WOW and COD WAW) DX11 cards will be out and by then you may be able to get something almost as fast and that two GPU solution for $160 plus DX11 capability, or pick up a second 260 sp 216 then and it will probably be less than $155.

Thanks for the info. Yeah I probably won't be starting any real graphic intensive games in the next few months, but I don't know about maybe 6mo-1yr from now... And even once DX11 cards come out, it'll probably be another good while before DX11 games come out I assume?... So i'm probably not going to consider anything DX11 related atm. If anything, I'd like to consider when the prices of a GTX 280, 285, or even 295 will drop, so that I could possibly replace my single GTX 260 with a single one of them... Or just buy the 2nd GTX 260 right now and more than likely i'll be completely satisfied with it until DX11 stuff later.

And also, when considering the future price drops of a GTX 280, 285, or 295... Well I probably should only consider the GTX 295. Because, I doubt i'd sell my 260 and replace it with a 280 or 285 unless one of them dropped REALLY low in price... And if I had SLI 260s, it would be almost as good as a single 295 in most cases.

Of course I could buy a second GTX 260 later, but I'm not too sure about when it will be BELOW $155 total, like it would be right now for me. Gotta give it some more thought... Oh and, it's not like my current games would see 0 increase with a 2nd card right now, but yes I'm aware that it would be extremely minimal gains....

Thanks everyone else who responded.
April 7, 2009 9:51:44 PM

Any more thoughts before I finalize a decision? :) 

thanks
!