Sign in with
Your question
Closed

My GTX 460 shuts down/black screens

Last response: in Overclocking
October 28, 2010 4:35:40 PM

Hello,

I'm currently busy trying to get a stable overclock from my GTX 460. I've unlocked the voltage cap of 1.212v with a bios adjustment so I could push the card further as it's running quite cool.

There's a few things bugging me about the card; it will start to make a high pitched noise when it's being stressed at higher voltages (~1.13v+, temperatures are well below 85 c during these tests). But perhaps the most peculiar thing about the card is that when I raise the voltage to 1.212v, it will give me a black screen and an unresponsive computer at about 85 c, this is at stock clock speeds.
So the problem is either voltage or heat related, probably heat since it's always around 85 c that it will fail, which is not even close to the max temperature of 104 c.

Any insight on the matter would be much appreciated, I'd really like to give this card a good overclock.
Thanks.
a b U Graphics card
a c 295 K Overclocking
October 28, 2010 6:09:46 PM

Hi JFamd and welcome to Tom's forum.

Set the voltage to stock and the clock to stock if u get the same problem at both stock voltage and stock clocks RMA the GPU and wait for a new one.
October 28, 2010 6:24:48 PM

Thanks for your reply saint, but that's not the problem.
The card is perfectly stable at stock settings, I don't think it's a stability issue even at overclocked settings. I've done some more tests and I'm 90% sure it's heat related.
Perhaps there's some kind of automatic shutdown sequence when the card reaches 80-85 c. Would you or someone else happen to know if something like this can be the culprit?

I've got a Corsair TX650W psu so insufficient power wouldn't be the problem.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a c 295 K Overclocking
October 28, 2010 6:47:31 PM

How faster is the fan running?

My old GTX260 never reach to that temps.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
October 28, 2010 7:44:38 PM

@OP: Use something like Afterburner, Precision, Rivatuner to increase fan speeds.

Also realize that increasing voltages WILL increase your temps quite rapidly.

Try OCing with out a voltage increase.
October 29, 2010 12:35:32 PM

@saint19: Well I usually set the fan manually when it's reaching those temperatures, usually around 70 or 80%.

@Shadow: I'm using Afterburner, I'm aware of the additional heat that voltage increase brings but, I'm just puzzled by why my card shuts down at those relatively low temperatures when its max temperature is at 104 c. I've OC'ed without voltage increases and it gave me a max of 840 Mhz, now I'm getting a max of about 975 Mhz.
a b U Graphics card
a c 295 K Overclocking
October 29, 2010 2:42:26 PM

U need create an automatic fan profile that rise the fan speed while the temperature rise too.
October 29, 2010 2:52:19 PM

I have, I've tried everything I could. This is driving me completely nuts, it doesn't matter what voltage I give it, it will just shut down at those temps. Now it will even shut down at 77 c.

Why the hell would it shut down?! I'm unaware of safety features or something that tell it to do this.

Thanks for all your help guys but I'm not trying to lower temps or anything, the card is running really cool as it is. At stock settings it won't even pass 63 c in FurMark.

I just want to find out why it's shutting down because it's really getting in the way of my overclocking.
a b U Graphics card
a c 295 K Overclocking
October 29, 2010 7:55:16 PM

Check in the BIOS and disable all the options for temps reboot just wanna test something.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
October 29, 2010 8:33:30 PM

Quote:

@Shadow: I'm using Afterburner, I'm aware of the additional heat that voltage increase brings but, I'm just puzzled by why my card shuts down at those relatively low temperatures when its max temperature is at 104 c. I've OC'ed without voltage increases and it gave me a max of 840 Mhz, now I'm getting a max of about 975 Mhz.

Some GPUs, just like CPUs, don't like voltage increases after a certain point. May very well be you have one of these GPUs.
October 29, 2010 9:17:47 PM

saint19 said:
Check in the BIOS and disable all the options for temps reboot just wanna test something.

In my mainboard BIOS I couldn't find any of those options, at least not GPU related. I'm using NiBitor to edit my GPU settings and all the temp related options cannot be edited on the GTX 460's yet, I can't even see where the thresholds are set to now, I'll have to wait until they update that... I hope my card's BIOS somehow got those thresholds mixed up so it will be an easy fix once NiBitor updates.

Shadow703793 said:
Quote:

Some GPUs, just like CPUs, don't like voltage increases after a certain point. May very well be you have one of these GPUs.

Perhaps, but I don't think it's voltage related. Whenever I heat up the GPU to 77-85 c it will shut down, doesn't matter how much voltage I give it.
October 29, 2010 10:58:53 PM

That's very odd. I reached 1.087v (Afterburner max), 945/1890/2100 and it never passes 93 degrees. Even then, it will sit there for like 6-7 minutes at that temp before the display driver crashes. The computer won't reset, though.

What brand is it? I know from experience that some brands are garbage overclockers. I have EVGA, personally.
October 30, 2010 5:19:04 AM

It is a crapshoot to get a card with good overclocking potential. I think you have to face the fact that your card won't overclock very well. To put some sanity into things, wafer processes are tightly controlled, but even so, across a wafer the parts will vary as to how fast they can be clocked, etc. So you just got one that meets base and just doesn't have the integrity to go to a higher clock reliably. Just face it; its a dog you have just from the luck of the draw.
October 30, 2010 12:57:40 PM

dweitkunat said:
That's very odd. I reached 1.087v (Afterburner max), 945/1890/2100 and it never passes 93 degrees. Even then, it will sit there for like 6-7 minutes at that temp before the display driver crashes. The computer won't reset, though.

What brand is it? I know from experience that some brands are garbage overclockers. I have EVGA, personally.

It's the 1GB Gigabyte OC edition so that should be fine. :o 

insightdriver said:
It is a crapshoot to get a card with good overclocking potential. I think you have to face the fact that your card won't overclock very well. To put some sanity into things, wafer processes are tightly controlled, but even so, across a wafer the parts will vary as to how fast they can be clocked, etc. So you just got one that meets base and just doesn't have the integrity to go to a higher clock reliably. Just face it; its a dog you have just from the luck of the draw.

You're right, but the card does overclock quite well actually. The black screen is not stability related, this particular card is able to go over 930 Mhz without any problems. It's just, at any given voltage at any given clock speed it will shut down at 77-85 C. To check this, I've had my voltage up to 1.2v at stock speeds (so definitely stable) and it would still shut down at those temperatures. There would be no problem if the temps just wouldn't rise to that level but they will, at least if a plan to give it a bit of an overclock.
Some cards reach their overclocking thresholds within a few Mhz, alright no problem. But a card that can't go beyond 77 C because it will shut down is just wrong, especially considering its designed to be capable of heat handling up to 104 C.

Anyway, I've mailed Gigabyte about my issue hopefully it's something they know more about. Please do keep replying if you feel you have a solution or some insight, it's really appreciated.
November 1, 2010 1:10:36 PM

Your core isn't the only thing that can overheat. Just having a core running at 85C doesn't mean the VRMs aren't much much higher. I had a voltmodded 5750 pushed up to 1Ghz, and with no heatsinks on the VRMs it would lock up under load after about 20 sec., but would run fine with the heatsinks on. Also, if the card thinks it is getting too much voltage it can reset itself to stock voltage. If it did that with a high overclock that would make it unable to run. Plus you probably just ruined your warranty by telling Gigabyte you modified the card's bios.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
November 1, 2010 1:33:41 PM

^ That is a very good point about MOSFETS/VRAM.
November 1, 2010 2:00:16 PM

Andon48 said:
Your core isn't the only thing that can overheat. Just having a core running at 85C doesn't mean the VRMs aren't much much higher. I had a voltmodded 5750 pushed up to 1Ghz, and with no heatsinks on the VRMs it would lock up under load after about 20 sec., but would run fine with the heatsinks on. Also, if the card thinks it is getting too much voltage it can reset itself to stock voltage. If it did that with a high overclock that would make it unable to run. Plus you probably just ruined your warranty by telling Gigabyte you modified the card's bios.

Thanks for your reply, I thought about VRMs overheating but I didn't think it could happen. So that means there's something wrong with the heat dissipation on my VRM's. I got a very extensive reply from Gigabyte basically telling me I should RMA it, great service. By the way, don't make assumptions. I didn't tell Gigabyte about the BIOS' modification, obviously... That would be irrelevant and stupid, and yes I'll be flashing the card back to its original BIOS if I RMA it, in case anyone wanted to be a smartass about that. :p 
November 1, 2010 3:35:03 PM

That's one thing I found out when I really got into overvolting the 5750, most people (me included) just worry about the core temp, but anything on the card can overheat just like the core, and you'd never know. Flashing the card back should work, unless they can check to see when it was flashed. I don't know if they can or would but that brings up an interesting question because I was thinking about tweaking my bios as well.
a b U Graphics card
a c 239 K Overclocking
November 1, 2010 4:29:39 PM

JFamd said:
Thanks for your reply, I thought about VRMs overheating but I didn't think it could happen. So that means there's something wrong with the heat dissipation on my VRM's. I got a very extensive reply from Gigabyte basically telling me I should RMA it, great service. By the way, don't make assumptions. I didn't tell Gigabyte about the BIOS' modification, obviously... That would be irrelevant and stupid, and yes I'll be flashing the card back to its original BIOS if I RMA it, in case anyone wanted to be a smartass about that. :p 

Every past Nvidia card I've owned that I have BIOS flashed, I had to unlock the BIOS to be able to flash the card, has that part of the procedure changed with the new cards today?

If that procedure has not changed and you unlocked the card to BIOS flash it, that is how Gigabyte will know you flashed the BIOS, even if you flash it back.

You're definitely on a path to destruction manipulating voltages on already hot running cards, hopefully for you it's not going to be a lesson learned the hard way.

VRMs can definitely overheat, you're throwing more voltage to them, what exactly do you think happens when more voltage is applied?

I used aftermarket graphics cooling solutions and hand made the heat sinks for my VRMs on my cards.

Good Luck to you! Ryan
September 28, 2011 8:04:47 PM

Hello.. I am new here and I have a similar problem with my GTX 460. So, I will be thankful if someone can give me a solution at my problem.
My GTX 460 1GB OC is produced by Leadtek. The stock cooler was very loud, so i decided to change it with a new one from Deepcool (V400). After install it, I started to run FURMARK. After about 8 minutes, when the GPU's temp reached 73 degrees, my display went blank and my computer stopped working. (The card equipped with stock cooler worked fine and was stable at 75 degrees). So, I reset the comp and i received 1 long beep followed by 2 short ones (meaning i have problem with video card). At that moment i turned off the computer, and after 2-3 minutes i turned it on again - and worked.
I want to mention that on idle i have 27-28 degrees on GPU (instead of 33-34 with stock cooler) and in 3D Mark Vintage i reached 49 degrees instead of 58-60 (with stock cooler). In conclusion, this new cooler is better, but why the video card is turning off at 73 degrees and with old cooler is working fine at 75 degrees?

Dunno if this is important, BUT! the V400 from deepcool came with a 12 cm fan. That fan doesn't have same connectors like the old one, so i connected it to MB. (The 12 cm fan has 3 pin jack and is bigger than the original GPU fan which is having 4 pin jack).

Sorry about my english. I hope to understand what I tried to explain.

And please give me some advices.

Thank you,
Greets Razvan
September 28, 2011 8:17:44 PM

I tried to edit my message but i can't :( 
SO, what i wanna tell is: It is possible to butn out my video card? Or it is protected and that's why it is shutting down at 73 degrees?
ALSO! i NEVER overclocked it.
a b U Graphics card
a c 239 K Overclocking
September 29, 2011 11:52:09 AM

This thread is almost a year old, please start another with your exact question. Ryan
!