Sign in with
Your question

Asus p6t delux SAS question

Last response: in Motherboards
August 26, 2009 2:01:11 PM

I have an asus p6t deluxe (not version 2) and had a question about the two orange SAS ports underneath the 6 sata ports. I am having trouble actually understanding what SAS is, and if this is capable of supporting a solid state drive. Is this board capable of supporting sata II? In other words, most of the ssd I have seen are sataII, will I be able to hook them into a regular sata port on the hard drive or the sas port? Sorry if my question is confusing. Thanks for the help.
August 26, 2009 2:58:31 PM

To my knowledge now after doing a little more research, I am coming up with some of the history behind sata. Since there have been several revisions to the sata connection in particular sata at 1.5 GB/s, 3.0 GB/s and the newest 6.0 GB/s, sata II is really a misnomer of the commonly used sata 3.0 GB/s. So to my knowledge sata II is just really the same sata connection we all know and love running at the 3.0 GB/s speed. Can I get confirmation of this. So then my question still remains of my p6t being able to support these new speeds, can it support the newest 6.0 GB/s transfer? (this I think is unlikely as it states 3.0 gb/s in the manual). I may have answered my own question there. However, if you are still with me, I still am confused on what exactly the SAS ports are then. Would someone confirm what I am saying and perhaps point me in the right direction of the SAS versus SATA connection.
m
l
August 28, 2009 1:33:57 PM

SATA is Serial ATA.
SAS is Serial Attached SCSI.

The SAS drives I've seen are 74GB, 147GB, or 300GB. They are 2.5" and spin at 10k or 15k RPM. (think small, fast, and probably hot)

Due to costs for all the components (mainly the controller), SAS is pretty much for the enterprise not the home. They are not interchangable... well... I take that back... your SATA controller will not recognize SAS drives but a SAS controller shouldn't have a problem with SATA drive.

While I would love to have SAS drives for my PC, I think the money would be better spent on SSDs (Solid State Drive)

m
l
Related resources
August 28, 2009 2:21:09 PM

thanks for the input, I think I am going to wait a little longer before I invest in a SSD. do you think the future ssds will be compatible with my current sata ports?
m
l
August 28, 2009 4:06:36 PM

I would be shocked if they weren't compatible. SATA II drives should be backwards compatible with SATA (I) ports. They would just have less available bandwidth to transfer data. That said, HDDs don't really come close to saturating a SATA or SATA II channel. I don't even think a single SSD will saturate one of the channels, but if you're talking about two or more SSDs in a RAID 0 then you might. The main thing the future of SATA will bring is more bandwidth...

1st generation SATA - 1.5Gbit/sec
2nd gen SATA (SATA II) - 3Gbit/sec

3rd gen SATA (not here yet; might be called SATA 6) = 6Gbit/sec

Check wikipedia for more info than you care to know about sata
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

m
l
August 28, 2009 5:36:51 PM

So for example, my sata ports on my motherboard can support up to 3gib/sec transfer speeds, which qualifies them as being sata II capable. But how come some of the ssds for example

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

say they are sata II drives, but only support a maximum read speed of (in the example of the OCZ drive) 220 meg/sec, why is it called sataII if sata II merely refers to the transfer rate capability and not the hardware component of the connector. For example, shouldn't a drive that is labeled as sata II with only a 220meg/sec read speed run the exact same connected to a sata and sataII port? i think i am getting a little picky here, but i am just curious
m
l
January 16, 2010 4:05:33 AM

Because that is the maximum read/write speed of the drive.

Sata/Sata II are specifications, and are maximum performance specs (IE no matter how many raid 0 drives you get,you can't get above 3.0 gb's on SATA II)
m
l
November 28, 2011 9:58:56 PM

SAS (a 6gb/s) seagate ssd ST800FM0012 use this kind of port
m
l
!