Playing MP3 from storage card

a b G Storage
December 26, 2004 2:05:08 PM

On another computer, I've loaded a few MP3 files on a storage card, but I
can't get them to play on my iPaq 1910 with WMP v8.0.

When I try opening them from the File Explorer, they show up sporting the
WMP icon, but I get the following message:

"Windows Media Player cannot find the file. You may not be connected to the
network, the file may have moved, or you may have entered an incorrect file
name or path."

The WMP "Welcome" loop plays fine.

What do I need to do differently?

Thanks,
Ralph
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 26, 2004 11:19:53 PM

Are the files variable or fixed bitrate?

"Ralph Bender, MBA" <ralphbender@adelphia.net> wrote in message
| On another computer, I've loaded a few MP3 files on a storage card,
but I
| can't get them to play on my iPaq 1910 with WMP v8.0.
|
| When I try opening them from the File Explorer, they show up sporting
the
| WMP icon, but I get the following message:
|
| "Windows Media Player cannot find the file. You may not be connected
to the
| network, the file may have moved, or you may have entered an
incorrect file
| name or path."
|
| The WMP "Welcome" loop plays fine.
|
| What do I need to do differently?
|
| Thanks,
| Ralph

Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 26, 2004 11:19:54 PM

Uh ... I have no idea.
They were ripped from a CD using software from my wife's Creative Media
Nomad Zen MP3 player.
How can I find out, and what's the difference?

"alan smith" <alan@REMOVEmral.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> Are the files variable or fixed bitrate?
>

> "Ralph Bender, MBA" <ralphbender@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> | On another computer, I've loaded a few MP3 files on a storage card,
> but I
> | can't get them to play on my iPaq 1910 with WMP v8.0.
> |
> | When I try opening them from the File Explorer, they show up sporting
> the
> | WMP icon, but I get the following message:
> |
> | "Windows Media Player cannot find the file. You may not be connected
> to the
> | network, the file may have moved, or you may have entered an
> incorrect file
> | name or path."
> |
> | The WMP "Welcome" loop plays fine.
> |
> | What do I need to do differently?
> |
> | Thanks,
> | Ralph

a b G Storage
December 27, 2004 11:12:02 AM

Look at the program settings that they were ripped with?

The difference is one uses variable bit rates which means that higher
bitrates (more data) is saved for complicated passages, lower for
simpler passages (less data). Fixed is the same data rate whatever the
music is like. I think- but you will need to check- that v8 only
handles fixed rate, variable bitrate is fairly recent and can offer
advantages. I'd guess your ripping software defaults to the (probably)
better variable rate if it is a recent program but should offer fixed
in the settings. 128 is the most commonly used rate for mp3's and most
are happy with it- some say it is too low quality so use a higher rate.
For wma files the equivalent fixed bitrate is 64 so essentially you get
twice as much music in the same storage space.

I don't use the programs you have used (there is arguably better stuff
out there for converting wav's to mp3 and the more efficient wma) so
you will need to research your programs, look at the options offered.

| Uh ... I have no idea.
| They were ripped from a CD using software from my wife's Creative
Media
| Nomad Zen MP3 player.
| How can I find out, and what's the difference?
|

| "alan smith" <alan@REMOVEmral.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
| > Are the files variable or fixed bitrate?
| >

| > "Ralph Bender, MBA" <ralphbender@adelphia.net> wrote in message
| > | On another computer, I've loaded a few MP3 files on a storage
card,
| > but I
| > | can't get them to play on my iPaq 1910 with WMP v8.0.
| > |
| > | When I try opening them from the File Explorer, they show up
sporting
| > the
| > | WMP icon, but I get the following message:
| > |
| > | "Windows Media Player cannot find the file. You may not be
connected
| > to the
| > | network, the file may have moved, or you may have entered an
| > incorrect file
| > | name or path."
| > |
| > | The WMP "Welcome" loop plays fine.
| > |
| > | What do I need to do differently?
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > | Ralph
| > |
| > |

Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 27, 2004 8:01:41 PM

It's not the bitrate. My program for ripping the MP3 files is set to
constant 128 bitrate.
I tried reinstalling the Media Player, to no avail.
When I try opening the MP3 file, from WMP, it jumps from the selected file
to the WMP "Welcome" file. That's all that it'll play.

> Look at the program settings that they were ripped with?
>
> The difference is one uses variable bit rates which means that higher
> bitrates (more data) is saved for complicated passages, lower for
> simpler passages (less data). Fixed is the same data rate whatever the
> music is like. I think- but you will need to check- that v8 only
> handles fixed rate, variable bitrate is fairly recent and can offer
> advantages. I'd guess your ripping software defaults to the (probably)
> better variable rate if it is a recent program but should offer fixed
> in the settings. 128 is the most commonly used rate for mp3's and most
> are happy with it- some say it is too low quality so use a higher rate.
> For wma files the equivalent fixed bitrate is 64 so essentially you get
> twice as much music in the same storage space.
>
> I don't use the programs you have used (there is arguably better stuff
> out there for converting wav's to mp3 and the more efficient wma) so
> you will need to research your programs, look at the options offered.
>

> "Ralph Bender, MBA" <ralphbender@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> | Uh ... I have no idea.
> | They were ripped from a CD using software from my wife's Creative
> Media
> | Nomad Zen MP3 player.
> | How can I find out, and what's the difference?
> |

> | "alan smith" <alan@REMOVEmral.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> | > Are the files variable or fixed bitrate?
> | >

> | > "Ralph Bender, MBA" <ralphbender@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> card,
> | > but I
> | > |
> sporting
> | > the
> | > |
> connected
> | > to the
> | > incorrect file
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |

Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 28, 2004 3:52:16 PM

Try a different player- winampaq for example.

| It's not the bitrate. My program for ripping the MP3 files is set to
| constant 128 bitrate.
| I tried reinstalling the Media Player, to no avail.
| When I try opening the MP3 file, from WMP, it jumps from the selected
file
| to the WMP "Welcome" file. That's all that it'll play.
|

| "alan smith" <alan@REMOVEmral.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
| > Look at the program settings that they were ripped with?
| >
| > The difference is one uses variable bit rates which means that
higher
| > bitrates (more data) is saved for complicated passages, lower for
| > simpler passages (less data). Fixed is the same data rate whatever
the
| > music is like. I think- but you will need to check- that v8 only
| > handles fixed rate, variable bitrate is fairly recent and can offer
| > advantages. I'd guess your ripping software defaults to the
(probably)
| > better variable rate if it is a recent program but should offer
fixed
| > in the settings. 128 is the most commonly used rate for mp3's and
most
| > are happy with it- some say it is too low quality so use a higher
rate.
| > For wma files the equivalent fixed bitrate is 64 so essentially you
get
| > twice as much music in the same storage space.
| >
| > I don't use the programs you have used (there is arguably better
stuff
| > out there for converting wav's to mp3 and the more efficient wma)
so
| > you will need to research your programs, look at the options
offered.

| > "Ralph Bender, MBA" <ralphbender@adelphia.net> wrote in message
| > | Uh ... I have no idea.
| > | They were ripped from a CD using software from my wife's Creative
| > Media
| > | Nomad Zen MP3 player.
| > | How can I find out, and what's the difference?
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | "alan smith" <alan@REMOVEmral.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message

| > card,
| > | > |
| > sporting
| > | > |
| > connected
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 3, 2005 1:35:03 PM

Hi,

I have downloaded a copy of WinamPAQ for my PDA; however the file downloaded
is a CAB file and there are no install or exe file.

Can anyone help?

Kind Regards
Adrian

"alan smith" wrote:

> Try a different player- winampaq for example.
>

> "Ralph Bender, MBA" <ralphbender@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> | It's not the bitrate. My program for ripping the MP3 files is set to
> | constant 128 bitrate.
> | I tried reinstalling the Media Player, to no avail.
> | When I try opening the MP3 file, from WMP, it jumps from the selected
> file
> | to the WMP "Welcome" file. That's all that it'll play.
> |

> | "alan smith" <alan@REMOVEmral.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> | > Look at the program settings that they were ripped with?
> | >
> | > The difference is one uses variable bit rates which means that
> higher
> | > bitrates (more data) is saved for complicated passages, lower for
> | > simpler passages (less data). Fixed is the same data rate whatever
> the
> | > music is like. I think- but you will need to check- that v8 only
> | > handles fixed rate, variable bitrate is fairly recent and can offer
> | > advantages. I'd guess your ripping software defaults to the
> (probably)
> | > better variable rate if it is a recent program but should offer
> fixed
> | > in the settings. 128 is the most commonly used rate for mp3's and
> most
> | > are happy with it- some say it is too low quality so use a higher
> rate.
> | > For wma files the equivalent fixed bitrate is 64 so essentially you
> get
> | > twice as much music in the same storage space.
> | >
> | > I don't use the programs you have used (there is arguably better
> stuff
> | > out there for converting wav's to mp3 and the more efficient wma)
> so
> | > you will need to research your programs, look at the options
> offered.
> | >

> | > "Ralph Bender, MBA" <ralphbender@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> | > Media
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |

> | > card,
> | > | > |
> | > sporting
> | > | > |
> | > connected
> | > | > |
> | > | > |
> | > | > |
> | > | > |
> | > | > |

> | > |
> | > |

Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 3, 2005 10:50:57 PM

Make it read-only on your PC
(right click, properties, read only)
Then right click and "Copy".

Now browse to your mobile device in windows explorer
place it on your SD/CF/Memory card on the PPC "Paste"
Clicking the CAB should just install the program.

The reason you copied it to the memory card is so when you soft reset,
it's still available. You made it read-only because otherwise the PPC
removes the file after install, and you want it to be there in future
installs ;-)

Cheers - Neil

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 10:35:03 -0800, "Fiat-Lux"
<adrianATaslcomputingDOTcoDOTuk> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have downloaded a copy of WinamPAQ for my PDA; however the file downloaded
>is a CAB file and there are no install or exe file.
>
>Can anyone help?
>
>Kind Regards
>Adrian
>
>"alan smith" wrote:
>
>> Try a different player- winampaq for example.
>>

>> "Ralph Bender, MBA" <ralphbender@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> | It's not the bitrate. My program for ripping the MP3 files is set to
>> | constant 128 bitrate.
>> | I tried reinstalling the Media Player, to no avail.
>> | When I try opening the MP3 file, from WMP, it jumps from the selected
>> file
>> | to the WMP "Welcome" file. That's all that it'll play.
>> |

>> | "alan smith" <alan@REMOVEmral.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message

>> higher
>> the
>> (probably)
>> fixed
>> most
>> rate.
>> get

>> stuff
>> so
>> offered.

>> | > |
>> | > |
>> | > |

>> | > | > |
>> | > | > |
>> | > | > |
>> | > | > |
>> | > | > |
>> | > | > |
>> | > | > |

>> | > |
>> | > |

Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 3, 2005 10:56:01 PM

Just copy the file to your ppc and run from there.

"Fiat-Lux" <adrianATaslcomputingDOTcoDOTuk> wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| I have downloaded a copy of WinamPAQ for my PDA; however the file
downloaded
| is a CAB file and there are no install or exe file.
|
| Can anyone help?
|
| Kind Regards
| Adrian
|
| "alan smith" wrote:
|
| > Try a different player- winampaq for example.
| >

| > "Ralph Bender, MBA" <ralphbender@adelphia.net> wrote in message
| > | It's not the bitrate. My program for ripping the MP3 files is set
| > | constant 128 bitrate.
| > | I tried reinstalling the Media Player, to no avail.
| > | When I try opening the MP3 file, from WMP, it jumps from the
selected
| > file
| > | to the WMP "Welcome" file. That's all that it'll play.
| > |
| > |
| > | "alan smith" <alan@REMOVEmral.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message

| > higher