AdamDBurns

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Hi,

Im starting to get a little gelous with other setups and my cpu is bottlenecking my graphics cards so i was wondering im proberbly goin to get the phemom II x4 955BE but is it worth it or should i go for sumthing cheaper? :heink:

my setup:

AMD Phenom x4 9950 black
Asus M3A78-T
2 gb dYNET ddr2 800
1X Samsung HD200HJ 200gb SATA
3X Sapphire hd 4850

sub mesa

Distinguished
Your current CPU uses alot of power, the Phenom II will decrease the power usage, meaning less heat and less required cooling/noise. It will also be faster, but also expensive.

Do you really need a CPU upgrade? If so, Phenom II X2 550 3.1GHz might be better for gamers, assuming you can overclock it nicely. The quadcores would be better for SMP applications, so it depends on your usage pattern.

CooLWoLF

Distinguished
Stick with what you got. Unless you NEED to be on the bleeding edge, save your money till the PII drops in price. Also, to me, getting a PII X2 is a step backward, even if he is going to the new PII which is faster than the original. No sense in going back to a dual core because soon all the cores would be utilized by software and he will be pissed for going back to a dual. Then you'll need to repeat the cycle all over again. That viscous upgrade or not to upgrade cycle.....

PS. I'm running a PI X4 9600 @ 2.6ghz right now. I would love to drop in a new PII, but it doesn't make economic sense. I just got this thing in March. Waiting till end of summer at the earliest.