What is now the fastest supercomputer in Europe was recently unveiled at a research institute in Jülich, Germany. The computer, named Jugene, is capable of a massive one trillion computing operations per second.
Here are some facts about the Jugene supercomputer:
* Based on IBM’s Blue Gene/P architecture.
* Computing capacity: 1 petaflops/second.
* That equals the computing power of more than 50,000 PCs.
* 294,912 processor cores.
* Processor type: 32-bit PowerPC 450 at 850 MHz.
* 144 terabytes of RAM.
* Mounted in 72 racks.
* Network bandwidth: 5.1 gigabyte/second with a 160 nanosecond latency.
* Power input: 2.2 megawatts.