Overclocking NVIDIA Quadro NVS 160M

heylarson

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
I'm not much of a gamer, but I broke down and bought 'Street Fighter IV' for the PC because of how much I loved playing it on my iPhone. I looked around and saw that the game could be played on machines with less resources than mine. When I fired up the game, it was doing between 11- 13 FPS. Real crappy and slow. So I lowered all the settings to the min, and still not much better.

I have my laptop docked with the Dell E/port simple port replicator w/ a DVI and VGA connected to two HP W2207H 22" LCD displays.

I updated to the most recent version of drivers from NVIDIA's website and tried again. Not better.

I un-docked and played, and had slightly better results, but not what I was expecting.

If anyone has suggestions on overclocking this particular GMU, I'm open for opinions.

Here's the specs of my laptop:

* Intel Core 2 Duo T9600 with VT, 2.80GHz, 1066MHz 6M L2 Cache, Dual Core
* 4.0GB, DDR2-800 SDRAM, 2 DIMM
* NVIDIA Quadro NVS 160M, 256MB dedicated
* 250GB Hard Drive 9.5MM 7200RPM FFS
* Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Not surprising with that GPU.

what sort of systems 'with less resources' are you referring to. i find it hard to belive. the GPU you have is not designed for gaming. its meant for web browsing and watching videos. I'd stick to iPhone gaming if i were you. (actually, that's not true. I'd buy a new system xD)

heylarson

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
I've actually made some improvements by reading some other forums. People who actually know the settings inside and out for my particular NVIDIA drivers had me tweak some options, and now I have most of the game settings at low (or mid) with 2x AA and getting ~50 to 60 FPS. This is fine for me considering I can now game while traveling.

"Buy a new system"? No, this one is just fine! Some of us actually have bills to pay, not splurge on new systems, but thanks for the "constructive" solution.

G

FYI -
you don't need a new laptop system...
yours can run all today's hardware and software.
mine is slightly older than yours spec wise
and w/ 4GB I run 32-bit win7.
I love it..
one more thing it's not possible to overclock them and editing the nVidia drivers is the only thing to do.

Intel C2D T7200 (2.0GHZ) MEROM
4GB (2x2GB) Hynix DDR2 800mhz CL6
80GB Seagate HDD
256MB NVIDIA® Quadro NVS 110M TurboCache

Don't want to be a smart a** but that system may run all the software but not games

the processor might be good but the graphics card sux, that graphics card is smilar or worse than 8400 GS (desktop), it only has 8 streams compared to 8400 GS which has 16 but higher clocks equal more performance, that GPU wasnt designed to play games on, it was designed to run 2D stuff. With that GPU and non gaming optimized drivers equal little performance, you might be able to play street fighter as it has very low requirements but those drivers are in your way...