vorless

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
So my current system is E6850 @ 3.0 ghz
Two 8600gt 512mb in SLI
2Gb Kingston Ram

I want to know what the best price/power and compatibility to upgrade my video cards would be. I am uncertain as to what my PSU is pushing out since I bought this PC from CyberPower over 2 years ago. I tried to look for stickers or labeling of some sort, and found none. Kinda in the hole there. Any help would be great.

Link for the MB is here: http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=prodmbspec&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=170&cat3_no=&prod_no=1141#menu

vorless

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009

Thank you for responding, do you think that is the best card I could fit? If price wasnt an issue.

vorless

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
I'll probly just go with ur suggestion of 250 1gb version.

I plan on getting a new PC in a year or so anyways, dont wanna drop too much into an ever aging system, yah know. Thanks a ton man.

vorless

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Yeah, its just tough cause I am in my "comfort zone" with my two cards in SLI, they have played every game I thrown at them reasonably well, even Crysis at good settings and FPS. I recently had my monitor die on me and am using my 32' LCD Tv as a screen and would like the extra boost in power, I just hope the switch will be worth it.

Ohhh...switching over from the 8600GT SLI to the GTS 250 will be "HUGE"
You should be able to play all the current games with settings medium to max with that LCD tv...(sure it would have this 1080p 1920×1080 resolution or 720p 1366x768 resolution)

All power supplies have to have a label affixed that tells their specs. In particular, look for the amps on the 12v rail. The wattage is relatively unimportant.

Also, look to see if your psu has any 6-pin pci-e connectors. These are needed for some of the stronger vga cards.

If you don't have any 6 pin connectors on the psu, then the vga card needs to be powered by the pci-e slot, and the 8800GT is about as good as you can get without extra power. A good psu with two connectors will run you about $70.

As an aside, your best upgrade for the $ would be to upgrade from 2gb to 4gb. You can get a whole 4gb kit for $25 after rebate.