Need advice for antenna distribution in home

Last response: in Home Theatre
October 26, 2004 11:23:35 AM

I am completely unknowledgeable about satellite TV systems and am
seeking some advice as I consider purchasing one. By the way, the
basement is currently being finished so it is prime time to deal with
any cabling issues.

I currently have an off the air antenna system with distribution to 6
rooms.

Here are the immediate questions I would like some insight on:

Should the antenna cable for the satellite system be brought to the
same distribution point in the basement as the off the air system?

The off the air system uses RG6 cable, what cable type is used for
a satellite signal?

I would like to consider preserving the off the air signal capability
for the two rooms where I want satellite, what do I need to do to
accomplish this?

Is the a good website that I can go to that addresses the questions I
have?

I'm sure I'll probably have more questions after some responses
appear.

Thanks for your expert opinion!

John Keith
kd0gd@juno.com
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 5:10:05 PM

John Keith <kd0gd@juno.com> wrote:
> I am completely unknowledgeable about satellite TV systems and am
> seeking some advice as I consider purchasing one. By the way, the
> basement is currently being finished so it is prime time to deal with
> any cabling issues.
> I currently have an off the air antenna system with distribution to 6
> rooms.
> Here are the immediate questions I would like some insight on:
> Should the antenna cable for the satellite system be brought to the
> same distribution point in the basement as the off the air system?

That'd be the smart choice. The other alternative is to only run cable
to the one or two places where you'd want to watch satellite TV.

> The off the air system uses RG6 cable, what cable type is used for
> a satellite signal?

RG6 for little dishes (DirectTV, DishNetwork), no idea for the big ones.

> I would like to consider preserving the off the air signal capability
> for the two rooms where I want satellite, what do I need to do to
> accomplish this?

There's a couple ways. One is to run two sets of cable to everywhere
you're going to put a satellite receiver. The other is to put the
receivers in the basement at the cable distribution point and either
inject the signal onto the over-the-air antenna with an RF modulator,
like on channel 3 or something, or use the receiver's built-in RF
modulator. [1] Then you can use remote IR extenders to change the dish
channel from anywhere in the house. Multiple recievers, you could have
an 'upstairs dish' and a 'downstairs dish', or you could inject on
multiple channels... ...there's a lot of ways to do it.

[1] This is how I do it, but if you're going to run multiple TVs off of
the same dish receiver, the RF modulator in one of the DishNetwork ones
that I use is a little overpowering: if the dish is on, the only
over-the-air channels that still come in well are 7 and 9. This is a
problem if I'm working in the garage and want to put the football game
on (over-the-air, channel 5) and my wife is in the front room watching
Animal Planet.

> Is the a good website that I can go to that addresses the questions
> I have?

You might want to talk to a qualified dish installer, they'll be able to
answer your questions better than a webpage can.

--
Huey
Anonymous

> Here are the immediate questions I would like some insight on:
>
> Should the antenna cable for the satellite system be brought to the
> same distribution point in the basement as the off the air system?

You only need a cable per room to the same distribution point.

> The off the air system uses RG6 cable, what cable type is used for
> a satellite signal?

RG6 is good for both.

> I would like to consider preserving the off the air signal capability
> for the two rooms where I want satellite, what do I need to do to
> accomplish this

You'll be able to combine on the same cable the off the air antenna and
the satellite signal. You'll have to use a tv-satellite diplexer (here's
an example: http://www.trianglecables.com/tvsatdipspli.html) at each end
of cable. If cable is cheaper than two diplexer, run two cables in those
rooms!

jc
!