ASUS G73JH and an Intel SSD Are They Compatable

toolman tom

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
Has anyone had sucess with this combination? I Tried a Corsair P128 SSD as a boot drive and I could not get it to boot. I called ASUS and Corsair and still nothing. I was able to return it so I am considering an INTEL 160gb SSD as a new boot drive. Please let me know which SSD anyone has had luck using it as a boot drive. Thanks!

Gary56

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
A little late with an answer but I could not find another answer to this question anywhere on the web.

I had the exact same problem, installed P128 SSD in SATA P0 slot and could not get my G73JW-A1 to boot anything from the DVD player. I tried a Windows 7 OEM disk, Acronis True Image disk and the recovery DVD's that I created with the G73. All attempts to boot something ended in a '_' flashing in the upper corner and the DVD not spinning.

I had set the BIOS Boot priority to DVD, P0, P4 (I think, the data drive anyway), I also had SATA set to AHCI not IDE. Should have worked, has worked for 2 other desktop Windows 7 installs with Corsair SSD's. Really frustrating.

I next replaced the data drive with the P128 SSD (SATA P4 I think) and reinstalled the OS drive in SATA P0 slot and found I could boot into Acronis True Image from the DVD player. So, I cloned the OS to the SSD, moved the SSD to P0 (data drive back in P4) and it didn't boot. Night goes by...

The next morning I put the SSD with cloned OS in the P4 SATA slot and the data drive in the P0 slot then set the boot order in the BIOS to DVD, P4, P0 with no disc in the DVD and the darn thing booted to the OS I had cloned on the SSD. But Acronis (2009 version) had placed three partitions on the SSD (recovery, OS and data) so the configuration was not good. I also wanted to start with a clean OS install.

So next, I put the Windows Home 7 OEM disk in the DVD and restarted then loaded Windows to the entire SSD and became a happy camper!!!

Final answer is... "my" ASUS G73JW-A1 will not boot "my" Corsair P128 SSD in the P0 SATA slot (right bay looking at the bottom and one with the original OS drive). The SSD must be placed in the left bay, P4 SATA slot and the boot order changed in the BIOS.

FYI: I used a program called: ABRbeta.exe (stands for Activation Backup & Restore) to backup the factory installed Windows 7 Home Prem activation and restore it after I did a clean install of Windows 7 Home Prem from an OEM disk. Worked great and highly recommended. You can find it free on the web, search "ABRbeta".

toolman tom

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
I want to thank you for checking in. I purchased the Intel 160 SSD and had no problem with the installation at all. The drive was picked right up and I proceded with the Win 7 Ultimate install. I hope this will help someone esle saving them alot of time, phone calls and replacements from the manufacturer.