Total War Addict

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Hello, I am biulding a new computer this fall, and if almost got the blueprints down. I want you guys to stick your noses into all the transistors of this thread. lol little nerd humor there. anyway, getting to the point. here are the exact parts i'm looking at. Sorry their not threaded.

CPU: Intel core 2 quad (775) Q8200
Mobo: Asus P5Q motherboard
vidcard: EVGA GeForce 9800GTX
RAM: Corsair Dominator 4GB PC8500 DDR2 Memory
Power: Coolmax CU- 700B power supply
Case: Cooler Master Elite Mid T Case.
Sound card: Diamond Xtreme 5.1 16 bit sound card (don't know about the 16 bit part)
Monitor Gateway FPD1975W 19" Widescreen LCD Monitor
Speakers: Logictech X-540 Surround sound speakers
Mouse: Mivrosoft BX3-00001
Keyboard: Logictech EX 90

Tell me if there is ANYTHING AT ALL that I would also need to buy to build a computer other than tools or that static bracelet thing. I will probly change the peripherals and mabye the sound card. but I think the Q8200 is an exallent CPU for the price.
Graphics wise, would this build run at over 15 fps any current PC game maxed out w/ AA or smoothvision. After, my machine will be a quad!

The Third Level

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
Personally I wouldn't get the Q8200. It's pretty much the entry-level quad and LGA775 is an ended line - no more new processors planned.

I'd drop the Q8200 and P5Q (about $260), and instead go for an AMD Phenom II X3 720 ($140) and a $100 AM3 mobo. You may be able to unlock the 4th core too. If you are decided on a quad, try to bump it up to a Phenom II X4 940 and get yourself an AM2+ mobo.

If your timeframe is fall, wait to see what the rumored i5 cpu's offer.

For a current build, I would use a fast duo like the E8400 along with a faster vga card assuming your usage is primarily gaming.

Fast ddr2 ram is a waste. DDR2-800 will do all you want.

There are better psu's than coolmax. It is a tier 5 unit on this list:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088
Quality units come from Corsair, PC P&C, Seasonic, Antec to name a few.

Onboard HD sound is very good, no need for a discrete card.

You should look at an oem cpu cooler to replace the stock unit.

See if you can't find room in your budget for a good 24" monitor.

Total War Addict

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009

I was Thinking about the Phenom II x4 9400 it was my other choise, and frankly, I am bent on a quad. or at least a more than recomended gaming cpu. also, for a mobo, i just want a DDR2 PCI-E 16 x2 w/ Extra PCI slots and socket AM2, or for intel 775, but I have to agree, intel procs or quite expensive (spelling) for the performance. But do you think a later/more advanced duel core with a 9800GTX and 2/3GB ram could whip out 15 fps outta a fully maxed out crysis or Empire total war.