Sign in with
Your question
Solved

ASUS P6T is too HOT?

Last response: in Motherboards
August 27, 2009 3:53:04 AM

Hi, guys
i built my PC with i7 920 C0, Asus P6T, 1GB*3 Kingston DDR3 1333MHz, GTX 285.
and i find it too hot when the room temp is about 28C.
when i turn on the computer, the motherboard is about 41C, but after playing games over 2 hours, the temp raised over 65C, is that too hot?
and i got a intake 12cm fan in the front, a intake side 12cm fan, an outpull 12cm fan and the CPU included cooler.
so do i need to change Cpu cooler? or there is some other way? :o 
Thanks

More about : asus p6t hot

August 27, 2009 8:35:58 PM

Do not worry i7 920 normal temperature is 80C load.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 27, 2009 11:56:06 PM

65C is not out of line for the i7 under load, particularly if it's the core temperatures and not the temperature of the heat spreader.
m
l
Related resources
August 28, 2009 10:10:38 AM

Quote:
You mean the mobo or the cpu?

Running prime95 will stress all cores to 100% and tell you within 10 minutes what your max temps are.

If your going over 65c yes I'd recommend a better cooler.

I mean the mobo. maybe the northbridge temp. i'm not sure because i don't know which temp does it exactly display.
m
l
August 28, 2009 10:12:03 AM

sminlal said:
65C is not out of line for the i7 under load, particularly if it's the core temperatures and not the temperature of the heat spreader.

Thanks. but i'm still worried about the mobo temp. CPU temp is okay.
m
l
August 28, 2009 10:29:28 AM

michaelmk86 said:
Do not worry i7 920 normal temperature is 80C load.

Not with any decent cooler, it isn't.

@OP: Your room ambient is a bit on the warm side, it would help if you could tell us exactly what measurement you are taking. I realise that it is on the MB, but is it the southbridge?

Try realtemp... May give you better readings, and possibly better labels for those readings.
m
l

Best solution

August 28, 2009 10:45:41 AM

This is a well known problem of the P6T on some systems. Having 8+2 phase connectors instead of 16+2 as the deluxe version if there's not enough airflow inside the case and/or the heatsink in the CPU is not adeguate the MoBo *can* have some temps problems. This become still more true if you overclock or the ambient temperatures are high (as here in Italy where in the summer we can have ambient temperatures of about 35-40 degrees). If the temp is really 65 degrees in the NB it's not a good thing. Specs declare a max safe temp of about 60 degrees. You don't risk on frying it but you reduce the life of all components and put to more stress all the hardware.

You can do three things: check the cables inside the case and assure that they are all cleanly wired to not reduce airflow, buy better fans as Scythe Flex or something similar or assure that the ones you have are correctly clean and produce enough airflow, buy an aftermark heatsink.

What are the temps inside the case? If the MoBo at load is really (check with RealTemp) 65 degrees then probably inside the case the temp is about 45 degrees (again you can check it with RealTemp) that is high; to this then you must add the fact that with an high temp inside the case the stock cooler cannot cope well with it and so the global temperatures rise a lot.
a b V Motherboard
August 28, 2009 2:38:38 PM

The 65C temps are not going to kill it just can shorten it's life. Asus's site shows the max specs for the motherboard.

P6T

* Intel LGA1366 Platform
* Intel® X58/ ICH10R chipset
* ASUS TurboV
* 3-Way SLI & Quad-GPU CrossFireX Support!
* ASUS Drive Xpert
* ASUS EPU
* ASUS 8+2 Phase Power Design
* 100% Japan-made Solid Capacitor
VRM 5000hrs lifespan @105°C, 500,000hrs @65°C

With my P6T v2 and prime 95 running for 8 hrs my MB temps are 36C. My processor is running at 3.7G (75c max temp) and I have 12G ram and no heat problems with 4X 120mm running at 1700 rpm.
m
l
August 29, 2009 3:00:26 PM

selea said:
This is a well known problem of the P6T on some systems. Having 8+2 phase connectors instead of 16+2 as the deluxe version if there's not enough airflow inside the case and/or the heatsink in the CPU is not adeguate the MoBo *can* have some temps problems. This become still more true if you overclock or the ambient temperatures are high (as here in Italy where in the summer we can have ambient temperatures of about 35-40 degrees). If the temp is really 65 degrees in the NB it's not a good thing. Specs declare a max safe temp of about 60 degrees. You don't risk on frying it but you reduce the life of all components and put to more stress all the hardware.

You can do three things: check the cables inside the case and assure that they are all cleanly wired to not reduce airflow, buy better fans as Scythe Flex or something similar or assure that the ones you have are correctly clean and produce enough airflow, buy an aftermark heatsink.

What are the temps inside the case? If the MoBo at load is really (check with RealTemp) 65 degrees then probably inside the case the temp is about 45 degrees (again you can check it with RealTemp) that is high; to this then you must add the fact that with an high temp inside the case the stock cooler cannot cope well with it and so the global temperatures rise a lot.

Well, thanks. i get a new CPU cooler. the temp is better now(below 60C).
m
l
August 29, 2009 3:01:33 PM

ahnilated said:
The 65C temps are not going to kill it just can shorten it's life. Asus's site shows the max specs for the motherboard.

P6T

* Intel LGA1366 Platform
* Intel® X58/ ICH10R chipset
* ASUS TurboV
* 3-Way SLI & Quad-GPU CrossFireX Support!
* ASUS Drive Xpert
* ASUS EPU
* ASUS 8+2 Phase Power Design
* 100% Japan-made Solid Capacitor
VRM 5000hrs lifespan @105°C, 500,000hrs @65°C

With my P6T v2 and prime 95 running for 8 hrs my MB temps are 36C. My processor is running at 3.7G (75c max temp) and I have 12G ram and no heat problems with 4X 120mm running at 1700 rpm.

Wow, 36C is really cool. i believe i will never get this temp, ever. haha
m
l
!