Sign in with
Your question

Blue screen error when trying to load XP [Dual Boot]

Last response: in Storage
October 3, 2010 2:12:02 AM

I have a laptop running Windows 7 64 bit. I have a special need for 32 bit and need to dual boot. I first successfully had it dual booting Win7 32 and 64 but the program which I require 32 bit has known compatibility issues with win7. I decided XP would be the way to go. I already partitioned 16GB for the Win7 32 bit and figured I could use that for my new XP partition. So I reformatted it and tried loading XP. The process seems to be going fine doing the "Windows Setup" except when it gets to the point where it's finished loading files (at bottom of screen) Then it says "setup is starting windows" then it sits there for awhile then crashes with a blue screen giving the following message.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical Information:

STOP 0x0000007B (0xF78D6524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I have tried doing a check disk on all partitions. Dell does have a small partition that I have done nothing with.

*This is on my laptop not the PC that shares the specs in my sig.*

Thanks in advance for any information that may help me.
a b G Storage
October 3, 2010 3:05:31 PM

When you formatted the old W7x32, did you make it a Primary partition and set it to "active?" If not, do so, and load XP. After wards, you will have to do a repair install of the W7 OS to repair the bootloader allowing the selection of XP or W7 after POST. You can reorder the primary OS using msconfig in W7.
m
l
October 3, 2010 3:19:38 PM

No I did not, but I found that the issue was because my very new Dell laptop needed a setting in the BIOS changed form ACHI to ATA to be able to load XP. This ended screwing things up worse since I not only had driver compatability issues but I now don't have any options when booting to go from XP to Win7. And if I change the BIOS setting back to ACHI XP just gets stuck in a loop trying to boot.

So now I am just trying to wipe the XP from that partition and get it to boot back on the Win7 (64) like before.

:cry: 
m
l
Related resources
!