Cpu Cooler for am3 motherboards

Savag3Vim

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
Hey people,

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a reliable and silent air cpu cooler for my Amd Phenom II x6 1090t as the stock cooler is too noisy for my comfort. I know I can easily search the forum for good cpu coolers recommendation but after buying myself a Xigmatek Achilles s1284w I realized that the the bracket on my Asrock 890gx extreme 3 (which is similar to all am3 motherboards) would cause the Achilles to be fitted in way where air would be suck from beneath and exhaust upwards instead of the conventional way where air would be sucked in from the right and exhaust towards the left where common cases would have an exhaust fans. After this frustrating revelation, I have gone on and found out that all Xigmatek, Thermaltake, Thermalright, Akasa and Tuniq cpu coolers would be forced to be fitted in such a similar way.

So can anyone recommend a good cpu cooler brand and model which would be able to fit onto an am3 motherboard in a way where air would be sucked in from the right and exhaust out on the left.

Thanks

ahumphers91

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Which case do you have? I have a Apevia X-Jupiter, and a Zalman 9700 CPU heatsink/fan for my Phenom II X3 740 Black Edition. It keeps it extremely cool with air overclocked from stock 3.0ghz to 3.8ghz. Here's mine: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118020&cm_re=zalman_9700-_-35-118-020-_-Product
Don't use the thermal paste that comes with it though, I used it and got wayyyyyy hot. I bought some zero-therm and it dropped my temps from 75c (100% load) to 62c (100% load).

Savag3Vim

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
I am using a Lian li PC 7-NFW which has only 1 exhaust at the back and no ventilation holes on the ceiling. From the pictures I'm seeing on the Aprevia site, I believe your case has ventilation holes on the ceiling? Therefore you wouldn't have heat building up at the ceiling of your case as your zalman cooler would be pushing hot air towards the ceiling of your case. I would like to rectify this problem before i start overclocking my x6 as heat building up in the case would cause the whole case to be warm as it is aluminium.

Btw, how is the quality and build of an Aprevia? I've never heard any other quality manufacturers of aluminium cases.

Savag3Vim

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
oh, interesting. I'm looking at the manual for the zalman 9700 cooler. It appears the clip can be installed vertically or horizontally to allow the cooler to be faced up or down. However it doesn't seem to be available on the newer models such as the cnps10x

Thanks.

exceeda88

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
hello...i just wanna ask...for cooler like HDT1283 like red scorpion and achilles cannot be install so it suck air from front to back??? i have crosshair 4 formula with AM3 socket.....

Savag3Vim

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
No. Air would be sucked in from beneath and exhausted above. So unless your case has ceiling ventilation, any xigmatek tower cpu coolers would be unsuitable for you.

exceeda88

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
im using CM690, so the ceiling has some ventilation....but i want to rotate it so it suck from front to rear....i hope there is any socket or anything to do that...but still......no can do....im dissappointed....

Savag3Vim

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
well yeah i saw your pic on your thread. That's just too bad. I'm also having to get rid of my xigmatek achilles. My noctua d14 is coming soon. =)

exceeda88

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
hmmm....nothing i can do....then, H70 is on its way, hahaha....
thanks anyway....sorry to disturb your thread with my own question...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

I can't get to everyone before they buy a Xigmatek cooler! Around 1/3 of coolers can be installed the "right" way, and you can usually figure it out by looking at pictures of the cooler and its mounting hardware. Newegg has loads of pictures, and I just recommended a list of coolers to someone else.

Savag3Vim

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
Thanks for the reply. This is my 1st AMD build....and well, a square designed bracket on an intel allows for more flexibility compared to an AMD rectangular build.

exceeda88

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
it cant be helped, crashman, coz u cant denied that xigmatek HDT performance is good.. not everyone concern about how they r mounted until they install it and find themselves in a problem like me.....
@savagim : for crashman list of cooler, checkout my thread.....

TRENDING THREADS