lazduc

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
The case I am using does not have an hdd led. I want to add one. Question..
what is the voltage and current on the two pins on the jumper where normally the case hdd led is plugged in??? I want to put a large blue led rated at 3.3volts at 20ma. I guess there is a current limiting resistor across that connection so can I wire directly or will I have to add a resistor in series? Also I note that a lot of led's have an internal resistor which will either be in series or parallel with the on board resistor. How will this effect this led....I dont think that the large blue led I want to use has this internal resistor but I do not know for sure as it is not noted on the package it came in.
Thanks for the info.
lazduc :sol:

You can buy replacement LED's for hard drives, System Power etc in single or as part of kit.

One example:
http://www.directron.com/blueled.html

I'd phone a PC shop and see if they have one laying around for cheap.

Your best bet for mounting is to drill a hole in one of the drive bay dust covers (not the main case).

Another option is to find a USED case that's like $5 (maybe free) and rip out what you need.

My personal choice. And if you do find a junk case, packrat all the wiring. You never know when you might need a system speaker.

lazduc

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
Thanks, I have a handful of old case leds and leds in general...just wanted to know what the voltage and how much current the connector on the mother board can supply...seems like the voltage is 3.3volts according to photonboy's web link (thanks). I just do not know how much current the motherboard pin connector for the hdd led will supply.
My big blue led will draw 20ma...I know the small leds that come with a case are much smaller and will probably draw less...
Thanks again,
Lazduc :sol: