VGA - Bottleneck

Hi everybody,

First of all, sorry for my English :p ....
I`ve a simple dude, My PC is a Pentium IV s.775 3.06Ghz, 1Mb Cache, RAM 2Gb DDR2 533Mhz, Intel Mobo (chipset ATI x300), I want to know which VGA to buy for running Medieval 2: Total War, Empire: Total War, Crysis and CODs.

Thanks all, thanks! :hello:
18 answers Last reply
More about bottleneck
  1. Recomend to drop PC to rubish and buy a new one ? xD
  2. My brother has a P4 3.4GHz, 2GB of RAM, and an 8600GT and runs Medieval 2: Total War just fine. He hasn't tried any of those other games. I wouldn't invest a lot of money in a video card for that computer, because all of the other pieces are getting old. I would suggest something cheap like a Radeon 4670. You won't be able to play those games on the highest settings, but I bet they will be playable.
  3. @DMilardovich: Tell us exactly what MB and PSU you have, it might be possible to just upgrade the CPU and the PSU might power a decent card, there is always hope, do not throw it away just yet!
  4. my PSU is a Codegen 400W (comes with case), on the other hand, my Mobo is an Intel D102GGC2

Buying a new PC is also a possibility... but I`m not quite sure about that....
  5. Thanks strangestranger, but I`m sure that it`s impossible to play with the official system requirements

1.5GHz Pentium IV, AMD Processor or equivalent
    512MB RAM .... LOL
  6. By the way, I tried to play Empire Demo.... And screen gets all black at moment of loading, after that, it closes!... It`s means that I`m even not able to run it
  7. Guys, what do you think about this one ? http://www.sapphiretech.com/ss/products/products_overview.php?gpid=280&grp=3

Costs 130 dolars here
  8. As long as you have room for the large heatsink, I think that is a great card. I actually have a Sapphire 4670 that I'm very happy with. Mine is the one with the fan on it though.
  9. Thanks steckman, can you tell me the other components of your pc and how well it performs ? (a few games 1280x1024.... And, if it`s possible, Medieval 2 :) )
  10. When I played Medieval 2 I had an 8600GT, 2GB of RAM and an Athlon 64 X2 4200+. If I remember correctly, everything in Medieval 2 ran fine at 1680x1050.
    I've since upgraded my computer to an X2 5200+ and the 4670. I played Fallout 3 and Far Cry 2 at 1680x1050 with that setup. The 4670 made a very noticeable performance improvement.
  11. I`m very confused...

Should I sell my actual PC and buy a new one (Eg. I7, 2Gb DDR3, 500Gb, ATI 4750) or should I stay with my actual PC and only buy a new VGA ? :S
  12. It really depends on how much money you want to put into your PC. For $50-$75 I think you will see a very nice improvement with a 4670. For any amount of money over that I would look into getting a new PC.
  13. To be honest, I have money enought to buy a new one (something like Core I7 920, ATI 4870 1Gb, 2Gb RAM, 500Gb HDD... I can get something like that for 1200 dolars aprox.)...

The problem is that I`m not sure about expending so much money on it.

Should I wait, sell this one and buy a new one ?

Thanks!
  14. I guess it mostly depends on personal preferences. If you only play games a few hours a week and most of that is Medieval 2, then an upgrade to your old system is fine. If you want to spend 40 hours a week playing games and want to run Crysis on high settings, then spending the money on a new system makes sense.
    As far as waiting goes, there is always something on the horizon, and parts that are expensive today are almost always cheaper a few months down the road. The big problem is that reasoning means you are always waiting for something and you never get a new computer!
  15. Honestly, I re-installed Windows 1 week ago and since that day I didn`t installed any game.... So, definitely, I`m not "gamer"...

BUT, can I play Medieval 2 at full setings on 1280x1024 with my PC and that VGA?

On the other hand, I`ve had a nice idea... I could buy a NVida VGA now and if in the future I want to buy a new PC, I can use my NVidia VGA for Phisics, what do you think guys?
  16. I think you will be able to play Medieval 2 at full settings at 1280x1024 with your PC and a 4670.
    I don't know anything about using an Nvidia card for physics, but if you want to go that route you should probably look at a 9600GSO or 9600GT.
  17. What about ATI 4670 ? could I use it in CrossFire with 4870 / 4750 ?
  18. My understanding is that you can only Crossfire other 46X0 cards with a 4670. So you could use another 4670 or a 4650. And of course you need the proper motherboard.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Bottleneck VGA Graphics