Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking Company Tracking

Last response: in Overclocking
October 29, 2010 7:40:50 PM

Is it possible for a company (specifically AMD) to tell if i was overclocking one their CPUs (specifically the AMD Phenom II x6 1050T).

Thanks,
infectedbrain
a c 197 K Overclocking
October 29, 2010 7:59:27 PM

If you stay within the maximum voltage and temperature limits, I doubt it.
m
l
October 29, 2010 8:03:52 PM

but my cpu is black edition it has no max... i dont think
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
October 29, 2010 9:18:50 PM

^ Wrong. Every CPU has a max voltage. I can't remember the exact one for AMD, but for Intel, for 45nm CPUs the absolute max voltage is 1.45v. The absolute max voltage is the point of no return, meaning actual damage start to happen at a much faster rate at voltages beyond this. Max voltage != max VID.
m
l
November 4, 2010 2:44:59 PM

@ infectedbrain: imagine

"it has no max"
"oh really? the let's push it to 1 jigawatt!"
*500 miles away - faint poof*

:lol:  completely random, sorry - i just couldn't help myself xD
m
l
November 5, 2010 11:08:03 PM

infectedbrain said:
but my cpu is black edition it has no max... i dont think

The maximum voltage has two thresholds: a "never exceed this" and a max as a function of temperature.

Going sub-zero allows for faster overclocks with higher than the "recommended" Vcore settings, since those "recommended settings" are usually for the stock cooling solution bundled with the hardware at the point of sale.

But... it is still advisable to proceed with a great deal of caution. There was a fairly large discussion of this in one of the posts about a 5.0 GHz Intel Gulftown that my construction company bought from the folks at http://www.liquidnitrogenoverclocking.com

You can read that Tom's Hardware post here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/297137-31-intel-gulftown-cores

m
l
November 5, 2010 11:11:54 PM

infectedbrain said:
Is it possible for a company (specifically AMD) to tell if i was overclocking one their CPUs

I don't think any company monitors the individual clock speeds through some "Big Brother"-like device.

1. How could they possibly have the bandwidth to do so?
2. Even if they did have the bandwidth, how could they possibly sift through the mountain of data?
3. Why should they care? Overclocking is not "illegal", and they sure can't track you down and force you to "pay more" or anything like that!
m
l
November 6, 2010 1:41:38 AM

The only evidence I could give you if I were Intel or AMD is if I put the chip under SEM and see if the nanotransistors were 'damaged'.

Basically, I would be able to see that you have screwed up the whole circuitry with overvolting...a clear evidence to OC'ing. But...I doubt they do that...unless you tell them:

You: Hello AMD?
AMD: YEAH
You: Well, My Phenom died on me last night
AMD: Ohhh....shoot....too bad. Here, we can get you a new one. Just RMA the old one
You: Okay, but I overclocked it...
( a long beep on the phone is heard.)
m
l
!