Sign in with
Your question
Solved

DRAM Timing

Last response: in Overclocking
October 30, 2010 12:15:17 AM

I just built my first computer and want to bump my motherboard DRAM speed from the default 1333 to 1600 which is the speed the memory can go.

The mobo I have is this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

In the motherboard manual it says default dram timings are 1333/1066 however it also says 1800+(OC). The RAM I purchase has a speed of 1600MHz so I would like to have the mobo match the memory on that setting. I read the full "guide to BIOS" that is posted on this forum but afterwards the concept is still blurry to me. So I guess my question would be to ask for a further explanation on how to OC my DRAM timing, what settings effect what etc.

Thanks for any and all feedback.

More about : dram timing

a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
a c 190 K Overclocking
October 30, 2010 9:01:53 AM

Your chip will also define how fast your ram can run, what is your chip?
if you still have the box for it, theres a code on the box you can google and find the specs for your chip,
Moto
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
a c 117 V Motherboard
a c 183 K Overclocking
October 30, 2010 7:17:06 PM

Enable XMP and up the dram voltage to vendors spec found on ram module.
Obviously it's running auto or mobo default 1333Mhz and 1.5v dram.
m
l
October 31, 2010 6:24:33 AM

davcon said:
Enable XMP and up the dram voltage to vendors spec found on ram module.
Obviously it's running auto or mobo default 1333Mhz and 1.5v dram.

The voltage alone will change the MHz ?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 31, 2010 9:17:25 AM

Hi jacob...........

whats the ram you have????? how many of them do you have?????

Going to 1600 Mhz depends on your cpu clock and bios settings for your memory latency timing and voltage recommended by manufacturer........... since you have given your cpu and mobo model give your memory model also to give you accurate advice........
m
l

Best solution

a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
October 31, 2010 12:29:05 PM

jacob0808 said:
I just built my first computer and want to bump my motherboard DRAM speed from the default 1333 to 1600 which is the speed the memory can go.

The mobo I have is this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

In the motherboard manual it says default dram timings are 1333/1066 however it also says 1800+(OC). The RAM I purchase has a speed of 1600MHz so I would like to have the mobo match the memory on that setting. I read the full "guide to BIOS" that is posted on this forum but afterwards the concept is still blurry to me. So I guess my question would be to ask for a further explanation on how to OC my DRAM timing, what settings effect what etc.

Thanks for any and all feedback.

Lots of responses I see, let me try to clarify: First of all, most "DDR3-1600" isn't, it's probably DDR3-1333 that's been rated at a higher speed after validation by the company that labeled it. So, it probably only has SPD values (auto-cofiguration programs) for DDR3-1333 and DDR3-1066.

Now, if it also has XMP or EPP2 and your board can read it, you can set the board to use that XMP or EPP profile, which means the board will read extended config values from the memory and set an "automatic overclock". But I wouldn't do that.

Look, your RAM probably says what it's supposed to be (voltage, speed and four major timings) right on the side. You can go into BIOS and set those, so long as the CPU's memory controller allows the higher speed to be selected.
October 31, 2010 3:51:08 PM

Best answer selected by jacob0808.
m
l
!