Geforce 7950x2 Display Issue

patrickcampbe21

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
I recently started having graphic card issues with my "XFX PVT71UZDF9 Geforce 7950x2 1GB 512-bit (256-bitx2) GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Xtreme HDCP video card" on my "ASUS A8N-SLI 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD motherboard" I reverted back to my old RADEON 9250 for now. I'm using running Windows XP as my OS. The problem I'm having with it is dealing with its display. When I install it and the nVidia drivers, everything works fine. Its recognized and displays fine until I restart the computer after driver installation. After restart all I have get is a blank(black) screen...T_T Any opinions on if this is hardware or software?

o_O

Axeon

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009

??? When has NVIDIA used Catalyst Driver for their video cards? Make sure you have cleaned out your old drivers, and intall the NVIDIA drivers that are on the 7950 Disk.

patrickcampbe21

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
~_~ Sry been using Radeon as a replacement for so long, my mistake.

Anyways, guess I should be more thorough in my explanation. After uninstalling the Radeon drivers(restart computer) and installing the nVidia driver (Using latest ones now, same problem occurs with previous drivers), then restarting my computer. Everything works fine even able to internet surf, its when I try do stuff like access Nvidia Control panel or open a media file that my computer locks up for 30 secs and then restarts. Upon restart I get the following windows error report.

Error signature:
BCCode : 100000ea BCP1 : 8929F020 BCP2 :8A02C648 BCP3 : BA4DFCBC
BCP4 : 00000001 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

Technical information about error report:
............\Temp\WER8d63.dir00\Mini040609-04.dmp
.............\Temp\WER8d63.dir00\sysdata.xml

Besides from some number difference the error is basically the same. I also checked my driver manager and under other drivers "Multimedia Video Controller & a Unknown device" are missing. Checked nivida.com but to no avail.

Hope this helps...

When it is using the standard VGA driver in Windows, until you reboot.
Then it loads the new nVidia driver, and for some reason it doesn't like it. Either there is old Radeon stuff still hanging around that is conflicting with it, or you could try as suggested above, and go backwards a few revisions and try some earlier drivers. There have been no changes in the drivers for some time that benefit your old 7950 anyway.

patrickcampbe21

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009

I dont think its Radeon drivers lingering around, cause after reboot everything works fine. I have in my computer right now, while I'm writing this message. Its when I try to do something that requires direct graphic card access that it locks up. Accessing nVidia Control Panal, starting a media file, etc.... is when it locks up.

I'll try reverting back to 178 drivers and see if it works. Could the missing "Multimedia Video Controller & a Unknown device" drives have anything to do with the locking up or does the nVidia drivers have nothing to do with these drivers?

If you`re going to mess around with the drivers is is vital to sweep out the previous ones. There is a constant string of threads on this subject and the anwser is usually the same; Use Driver cleaner or Driversweeper in Safe Mode to clear out all the bits left behind by the crappy uninstaller before installing new drivers.
And always set a Restore Point before hand!