Low FPS with 8800 GTS 640

G

Processor:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory:
3,768MB RAM DDR
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 640mb

When just playing world of warcraft i get low fps(in the teens) when under stress and normal is about 30-40. Running vista ultimate.

Video card problem or processor/ram problems?

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
WoW fps performance is linked to the server if you are always getting low fps its yourfault but low fps in raids and cities is normal

No problem really just old tech Video card main issue proc 2nd issue. With the weird amount of ram you are prob not using dual channel not big deal but helps. Unless thats 4 gigs then you would need Vista 64bit to use it all. If this is a case of it used to run fine now it's slow ... then reload windows newest drivers ect. I just dumped a X2 6000 couple years ago couldn't keep up, sitting in my closet :) Moved over my 8800GTX to new system and most people here would tell me to get rid of that.. :pt1cable:

T

G

For the ram I have (2) OTZ(?) 1gb sticks, a 250 and 500mb stick

MSI GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler
Hardrives : 160gb IDE and Western Digital Caviar Blue WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
PSU:Maddog 650w
MOB:Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Vista Ultimate, lastest updates ect.

It has been running slower for awhile, never really realized how slow untill i looked up avg fps for laptop gaming cards.

Considering on updating to Quad Core(?), mobo, DDR2
Would the stuff i will be replacing worth selling?

boulard83

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
First, I dont think your ram can run DUAL channel the way its mounted now. Remove your 2 crapy 512 and 256 stick. keep only the 2x1gig and make sure you install it on the right slot to make it run DUAL CHANEL.

Use CPUZ to know if its runing DUAL.

Video card is getting tired, but should run WOW okay.
Processor is also dated, you can bump it up a couple, three, four hundred mhz, that will give you a little more snap.
How fast is your internet connection? That is probably the biggest handicap, maybe over the last couple of years, there are more people signing up with your ISP in your area, and it's starting to bog your connection down some.

And by all means, pull the 2 oddball sticks of memory out, they are not doing you any favors. I would imagine that your timings and buss speed for the memory are really taking a hit with the 2 odd sticks in there.

And yeah, people will buy your old stuff. May not be worth much, but if you decide to upgrade, you could get a few bucks out of it. Put it on eBay.