Sign in with
Your question

Power supplies failed 3 times in last 3months!!!! HELP!!!

Last response: in Components
June 16, 2009 3:24:54 AM

Ok i am having the worst luck with these things. I have a custom build computer that my dad and i built that runs all games on highest settings without a problem. About 3 months ago my 650W powersupply (it didnt have a brand name bought it off ebay) failed taking out my motherboard and graphics card with it. Luckily both of those had lifetime warrantys so i got them back without a problem. I then went to a local computer store and bought a $80 750w psu. They said it would be great for my computer. Then about a month later it failed. This time taking out my DVD drive with it. I got the same psu replaced for the same one. And then today i get up turn the computer on and windows wont start up. I restart it in safemode then restart again and it still wouldnt start up normally. I powered it down then turned it on but it wouldnt turn on. This is the same exact thing that has happend each and every time.

I dont know what to do. I had more then enough power for my pc. I have a second computer in my room for friends that i also built for gaming and the power supply has never failed yet. Should i just go and get an expensive psu like Antec??? Or is it something with my computer that is causing them to fail. Our house is only 7 years old so i dont think it has anything to do with electrical problems.

Please help me i am desperate.

System Specs

Intel Core 2 Duo 3.00Ghz
ASUS Mobo
4 gig DDr2 800mghz RAM
Nvidia Geforce 8800gt XXX
X-FI Fitality Extreme gaming edition
250 GB hdd
Windows XP
LG DVD Drive
a b ) Power supply
June 16, 2009 3:27:32 AM

Corsair CX400 is plenty of power and good quality.
June 16, 2009 3:47:15 AM

theAnimal said:
Corsair CX400 is plenty of power and good quality.

Do you have any clue why they keep failing?
Related resources
June 16, 2009 4:33:50 AM

Which PSU (exactly) was the second and third. I'd personally go for a Corsair 550 or something like that. Seasonic, Corsair, and PC Power and Cooling are among the best brands - get one of those if possible.
a b ) Power supply
June 16, 2009 4:49:20 AM

Unless you are somehow pumping speaker level audio back into your system, aren't the only answers your PSUs, or your electrical supply?

Do you have a UPS/surge protector on the line? After that many PSUs and collateral damage . . . I would lol.
June 16, 2009 10:05:01 AM

A friend of mine has a similar setup and it runs fine on a Corsair CX400 with probably watts to spare. (wich is btw cheaper then the 750 psu u bought)
June 16, 2009 12:00:49 PM

you prolly got 3 generic rubbish power units - go for a branded unit like acbel, antec, corsair etc
June 16, 2009 12:10:28 PM

I would go with a Corsair all the way ! Get a 550watt or better just to make sure but if you are strapped for cash get a 400 to 500. As long as you don't plan on getting a more power hungry video card later.

Also I like the idea as twoboxer said. Get a ups/serge unit. The house wiring could be fine. Its the power source outside of the house (from the city) that you have to worry about. I live in a 7 to 8 year old house and our whole neighborhood has multiple outages and brown outs a week! Usually during the day when Im at work, but when I am home. I hear the "beep beep" (UPS kickin in) almost every time !

You can get a small UPS for about $45 at best buy. Just plug the tower into it and you are set !
June 16, 2009 6:48:15 PM

We never have power outages unless their is a big storm. The 2nd and 3rd power supplies are called APOWER. We tried looking online for the manufacturer, but we could not find it. The place we got them from said they bought it from newegg.

Now if i just bought a brand name power supply such as corsair or Antec would that fix the problem. I also have no idea what a ups is so if someone could fill me in on that, that would be much appreciated.

Would this be a great power supply?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
June 16, 2009 6:55:34 PM

pleasehelp said:
We never have power outages unless their is a big storm. The

Hi Please

When building a quality system it never pays to buy any unbranded crap off ebay.

All because it says 650w it doesnt mean it actually is.. Its a lie. This is peak performance which is not sustainable

All because your local computer chap sold you a power supply for 80 dollars doesnt mean its quality either he just made a good profit on you.

Power supplies should be branded like Corsair or even OCZ ( which i have never had trouble with ) and get something like a 650w plus for when you upgrade later on.

Also get a mains filtering device to stop spikes in your electricity supply..

all the best

HB

a c 248 ) Power supply
June 16, 2009 7:18:39 PM

The Corsair TX650 you mentioned is an excellent psu. Corsair consistently earns high marks in technical reviews and comparisons. Their psu's are very stable and very reliable. Now, having said that, there's still a remote possibility there may be an electrical problem somewhere.
a b ) Power supply
June 16, 2009 7:58:05 PM

sounds like you had bad luck with some power supplies. Anyway it's still possible that youre motherboard is shorting them out. Make sure that you properly installed all the stand offs in the motherboard case. Make sure that none of the solder on the bottom of your board is accidentally touching the motherboard tray.
June 16, 2009 8:02:21 PM

Are you using a surge suppressor? PSUs hate spiky lines.
a c 121 ) Power supply
June 16, 2009 8:22:29 PM

A-Power makes poop. Corsair is nice. Your system would be fine with a 400W-500W PSU, no problem. An Antec Earthwatts would be a good choice too; usually they aren't too expensive.
June 16, 2009 8:24:43 PM

pleasehelp said:
We never have power outages unless their is a big storm. The 2nd and 3rd power supplies are called APOWER. We tried looking online for the manufacturer, but we could not find it. The place we got them from said they bought it from newegg.

Now if i just bought a brand name power supply such as corsair or Antec would that fix the problem. I also have no idea what a ups is so if someone could fill me in on that, that would be much appreciated.

Would this be a great power supply?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

APower? Never heard of them, which isn't a good thing. Go with a better quality PSU - the Corsair one in your link would work great. It has power to spare, too, so you could upgrade in the future and not worry about your PSU.
June 17, 2009 6:02:01 AM

Echo
a c 144 ) Power supply
June 17, 2009 12:41:29 PM

pleasehelp said:
Should i just go and get an expensive psu like Antec???

Antec's are not particularly expensive. And you have seen how well the cheapies have worked for you.
June 17, 2009 10:36:26 PM

Sorry I forgot to add that I do have a surge protector.
October 31, 2009 1:12:23 AM

No one gave importance to gud quality psu's tats why this is hapened,So buy a corsair 500+ psu if u can afford it and make ur pc stable!

With regards!
a c 248 ) Power supply
October 31, 2009 1:23:22 AM

aneesh - This thread is from last June. No need to respond to old threads.
!