What makes a motherboard good for overclocking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorge89

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
I've Googled and searched the forums without any success, but I have a question that I can't find the answer to. I've read on the forums people mention some motherboards are good for overclocking and some are bad, but no one mentions why. So my question is, what makes a motherboard good for overclocking? I don't know if it matters but I'm planning to use an AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition.

Solution
What makes a motherboard good for overclocking is the design of its voltage regulator. Many boards have 8-pin power and a regulator that can't even top out the amperage provided by a 4-pin connector.

I've blown up more ASRock voltage regulators than any other brand, but those were all Intel boards. AMD has different power requirements, and...

Jorge89

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
The only thing I've been able to find is that an 8 pin power plug (4+4) will have better voltage regulation therefore leading to an easier to obtain stable overclock. But is there any other difference?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
What makes a motherboard good for overclocking is the design of its voltage regulator. Many boards have 8-pin power and a regulator that can't even top out the amperage provided by a 4-pin connector.

I've blown up more ASRock voltage regulators than any other brand, but those were all Intel boards. AMD has different power requirements, and I probably didn't burn the boards only because the CPU overheated before I could push that far.

I wouldn't buy anything without doing a websearch to find out how well other people are doing with the product I was considering.

Solution

Balrog3141

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010

What does a good voltage regulator look like? Spec like?

Status
Not open for further replies.