Closed Solved

What makes a motherboard good for overclocking?

I've Googled and searched the forums without any success, but I have a question that I can't find the answer to. I've read on the forums people mention some motherboards are good for overclocking and some are bad, but no one mentions why. So my question is, what makes a motherboard good for overclocking? I don't know if it matters but I'm planning to use an AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition.
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about what makes motherboard good overclocking
  1. The only thing I've been able to find is that an 8 pin power plug (4+4) will have better voltage regulation therefore leading to an easier to obtain stable overclock. But is there any other difference?
  2. I can't believe nobody knows an answer to this question, is there no clue as to what makes a motherboard model good for overclocking?
  3. How does this motherboard look? Any thoughts? Are there any cons or pros related to overclocking?
  4. Best answer
    Jorge89 said:
    I've Googled and searched the forums without any success, but I have a question that I can't find the answer to. I've read on the forums people mention some motherboards are good for overclocking and some are bad, but no one mentions why. So my question is, what makes a motherboard good for overclocking? I don't know if it matters but I'm planning to use an AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition.
    What makes a motherboard good for overclocking is the design of its voltage regulator. Many boards have 8-pin power and a regulator that can't even top out the amperage provided by a 4-pin connector.

    I've blown up more ASRock voltage regulators than any other brand, but those were all Intel boards. AMD has different power requirements, and I probably didn't burn the boards only because the CPU overheated before I could push that far.

    I wouldn't buy anything without doing a websearch to find out how well other people are doing with the product I was considering.
  5. Best answer selected by jorge89.
  6. Crashman said:
    What makes a motherboard good for overclocking is the design of its voltage regulator. Many boards have 8-pin power and a regulator that can't even top out the amperage provided by a 4-pin connector.

    I've blown up more ASRock voltage regulators than any other brand, but those were all Intel boards. AMD has different power requirements, and I probably didn't burn the boards only because the CPU overheated before I could push that far.

    I wouldn't buy anything without doing a websearch to find out how well other people are doing with the product I was considering.


    What does a good voltage regulator look like? Spec like?
  7. Balrog3141 said:
    What does a good voltage regulator look like? Spec like?
    You have to read a bunch of reviews and look at how hard each reviewer pushed the board.
  8. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Overclocking Product