Should I get liquid cooling or a fan will do? For overclocking and running 24/7

kyleguy298

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
First of all I need to ask if I overclock my (upcoming) i7 950 to 4.2 GHZ will it be OK to run 24/7 cause I always download torrents that are REALLY big thats why I need it to run 24/7 maybe only about 5 restarts per week

second if this is possible should I buy a Coolermaster V8 fan or a Corsair H50 Liquid Cooling system so it wont overheat.

and I dont mind noise

Solution
Hyper 212 plus for a OC'd i7 950 is a no-no............. Believe me its a very good air cooler for the price and performance but not for the config you have...........

you are better with megahelems or venomous X with 2 fans if possible......... then i noticed that in the website you mentioned earlier....... i understand why you were so bent on the V6 and V8...............not much of a choice ............... from what is available there i have listed the best possible.......

Thermalright Venomous X --- PHP 2000.00
Prolimatech Super Mega --- PHP 3300.00
Xigmatek Thor's Hammer --- php2530

For the above use one or two of these fans
Cooler Master CM (R4-P2B-12AK-GP) PWM 120mm Fan --- PHP 350
Thermaltake TT (AF0022) 120mm Smart Fan ---...

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
if its gonna run 24/7, go for a good air cooler........... would suggest a cooler with two fan setup like silver arrow or nh-d14..........or even venomous x with two fans in push/pull...........

You do not need water cooling.

Enable SpeedStep. A torrent client like uTorrent will not present a load heavy enough to to force the CPU into high speed.

I have an OC'd Q6600 system in a dedicated torrent box. When it is just downloading torrents, it never drops out of SpeedStep.

You can verify this by running CPU-Z and monitoring CPU speed.

kyleguy298

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010

I dont mean I will overclock it just for torrents I will overclock it for multi threaded games like Napoleon total war and civilization 5 and non multi threaded games like flight simulator x

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
What they are saying, you shouldn't worry about running the computer for long hours because the processor has speedstep. Which means even though it is overclocked to 4.2Ghz, when not doing anything like torrenting. The CPU will lower it's multiplier so it is running almost half speed and not make much heat.

The Corsair H70 should be good for 4.2Ghz. Its not really a watercooling system but its kinda nice and doesn't cover your RAM slots.

The V8 isn't that good of a cooler. The Noctua NH-D14 is better for an air cooler.

kyleguy298

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010

The Corsair H70 is 2500PHP more expensive. not sure if I can get it (and still needs to be refilled right) wont my running 24/7 kill the coolant

sharr

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
1st. Even thou the H70 would cost more, its still a more reliable cooling solution since it requires "0" mentainance, its half the size of any other air cooler and it isnt as heavy, not to mention its quiet.
2nd. Dependent on the overclock settings u will apply, either of these coolers will or will not perform as well as u would want. If the applied overclock wont have tweaks (tweaked all of the settings) and u will just raise the BCLK, multiplier and Vcore, then those coolers wont be able to hqndle thise high temps as well as u would like. Bottomline, it all depends on your overclocking know-how.

kyleguy298

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010

uhh how about the H50 is it also 0 maintenance and is it though I know not as good as the h70 but is it better than a Cooler Master V8 or Cooler master V6

btw just a question just in case I would like to get the V6 (note its V6 not V8) will it fit my mobo without hitting the ram and gpu its the Gigabyte GA-X58-USB3. I will be using 3 sticks of ram and SLI 2 EVGA GTX 460's

sharr

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
H50, H70, CoolIT ALC series (and others), they are all "0" maintenance because they are "enclosed watercooling solutions".

1st. H50 and H70 have "about" the same performance, so if the difference in cash between the two is an issue for u then go for the H50 or the CoolIT ECO ALC. I myself use the CoolIT ECO ALC and its doing great at 4.01GHz, with tweaked voltages, it aint going over 76 C, at full load, after 8 hours (using push/pull fan configuration).

2nd. Why do u want a 4.2GHz overclock ? With your setup and for Civilization V, Napoleon Total War, FSX and torrents u really dont need to push for that extra 200MHz. A cool and stable 4.0GHz overclock is better at this point, if u ask me.

3rd. I, personally, rather not have to deal with a huge and heavy aircooler when there are so many other options with the enclosed watercooling solutions on the market. I cant say for sure, 100%, that it will fit (any of the air coolers) since u havent told us your case yet, but i tend to think it wont be a problem. Again, im not 100% sure.

4th. The applied thermal paste, the sitting of the cooling solution (be it air or water) and the way you tweak your BIOS settings are all very important, dont neglect any of them.

kyleguy298

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010

I see good points in water cooling so I will get the H50 anyway the case I will buy is the CoolerMaster HAF 922

*sigh* Lets get a few things straight.

1. The H50, H70, ALC,etc are LOW COST water cooling solutions that are NOT much better than high end air if at all. These are NOT real WATER COOLING!

2. The H50,etc DO require the same maintenance as an air cooler, but DO NOT need the same maintenance as REAL water cooling.

3. The TIM has very little influence on performance. This only changes temps by between .5-6C on average depending on the TIM.

4. Torrenting do not need much performance or produce much heat when running.

^ yup yup. But umm... Yeah... the H70 is a piece of crap no offense, for one thing... The noise, it's just so noticeable according to Hardwarecanucks. Another thing, the H50 is really loud as well and is not a GREAT cooler. If you got the H50, just get the Hyper 212+ with dual Delta's and you'll have a beast air cooler, or at least a couple Slipstreams. There is no reason to get the H50 or H70 because at the cost of an H50 you could get a better air cooler.

Like I mentioned the Hyper 212+ (which is only 30$ + 10$ for each Scythe Slipstream). Or the Venomous X which is a beast at 60$ or the Megahalems at 60$ as well. At the cost of an H70, just add another 50 or so dollars and you'll get REAL water cooling with a real rad.

BTW, I just read Sharr's comment. I wanted to reiterate my post above if you didn't bother reading it OP.

I'll bold it for you too:
The H70 is in NO WAY quiet. It's the loudest thing you'll ever hear out of a cooler, it's louder than most air coolers -_-.

ALSO

The H70 requires JUST AS MUCH maintenance as air coolers, dust gets caught in the rad and you'll have to clean it. Like an air cooler or a normal computer.

Anyways don't believe me. Review is here on the noise.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/35225-corsair-hydro-h70-cpu-cooler-review-10.html

kyleguy298

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010

so your saying that I should get the 212+ which costs less than the v6 and v8 but still have better cooling?

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
Hyper 212 plus for a OC'd i7 950 is a no-no............. Believe me its a very good air cooler for the price and performance but not for the config you have...........

you are better with megahelems or venomous X with 2 fans if possible......... then i noticed that in the website you mentioned earlier....... i understand why you were so bent on the V6 and V8...............not much of a choice ............... from what is available there i have listed the best possible.......

Prolimatech Super Mega --- PHP 3300.00
Xigmatek Thor's Hammer --- php2530

For the above use one or two of these fans
Cooler Master CM (R4-P2B-12AK-GP) PWM 120mm Fan --- PHP 350
Thermaltake TT (AF0022) 120mm Smart Fan --- PHP 460
Deep Cool (UF 120) PWM 120mm Fan --- PHP 550
Enermax (UCCL12) Cluster PWM 120mm Fan --- PHP 530

This one below comes with a fan and is a decent cooler for your setup.......
Thermaltake TT (Frio) cpu cooler --- PHP 2750.00

My recommendation:
Deep Cool (UF 120) PWM 120mm Fan --- PHP 550 X2

Solution

I understand that. But from your original post:

it looked like performance with torrents was what you were concerned about during the times you weren't using the computer for anything else.

kyleguy298

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010

Ok Ill follow your recommendation just hope I wont regret it