Sign in with
Your question

What Do You Guys Think Of This Beast?

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
October 3, 2010 11:45:23 AM

Have a look at this:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/03/seagate-tosses-3tb-h...

Four 3TB Seagate Barracuda's in RAID 5 would not doubt fly performance wise, but $1899 seems a bit steep for my tastes.

More about : guys beast

a c 126 G Storage
October 3, 2010 1:32:38 PM

It looks nice, but for so much money i would prefer a homebuilt NAS. Would be much more reliable and faster as well.

Interesting Seagate is already at 3TB drives; but refuses to release them due to Windows not supporting GPT that well; i suspect. Lot's of users would only be able to use 2TB of those 3TB disks; so i guess that's the reason we have not seen >2TB in the wild yet.
a c 415 G Storage
October 3, 2010 6:04:28 PM

sub mesa said:
Interesting Seagate is already at 3TB drives; but refuses to release them due to Windows not supporting GPT that well; i suspect.
Vista and Windows 7 have good support for GPT - the biggest problem is that if people try to use these things as boot drives then there are very few motherboards out there that can boot from a GPT partition. There's a new BIOS standard called "EFI" which can do this, but the motherboard manufacturers have been dragging their feet on supporting it.
Related resources
a c 126 G Storage
October 3, 2010 6:11:15 PM

Well that's a Microsoft limitation; FreeBSD boots excellent from GPT partitions even on old BIOS who surely doesn't know anything about GPT. This is done just by making the MBR 'GPT-aware'; and execute the GPT boot partition code next. This is also referred to as 'hybrid MBR/GPT' by some; though i see no reason why all OS can't use this. Not sure about how Linux deals with this; but i assume it's not much different than FreeBSD.
a c 415 G Storage
October 3, 2010 7:06:03 PM

Yes, you're referring to "hybrid MBR" schemes. Unfortunately they're really a kludge, are implemented differently by different OS's, and have their own set of issues, see: http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/hybrid.html

Personally I'd rather see the motherboard manufacturers get their act together than to start going very far down the hybrid MBR road, which IMHO is bound to cause all sorts of weird issues among non-technical users.
!