Radeon HD 4890 vs. Radeon HD 4850x2 REPLY QUICK!!!

stoph007

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
Which would you get. Reply quick please.

4890: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102831

4850x2: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102809

price is not really an issue. i wanna play on 1680x1050.

system specs:

Case: Dell Vostro 200 case(getting thermaltake v9 black edition in a month)
Motherboard: Foxconn G33MO2(getting ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard in a month)
Processor: Intell core 2 duo E8400 3.0ghz
Memory: 4gb PNY
Power Supply: Rosewill 630watts

FredSRichardson

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
I also looked at the 2X 2Gig card. I decided I would stay away from dual GPU cards, but that's only because I got scared off. I don't have any personal experience with SLI or crossfire, but noise, power, heat and compatibility all worried me.

Now's kind of a bad time to decide. The 4890 looks very good, but it's also very new. The same goes for its contender the gtx275. You would be better off if you could wait 1 or 2 weeks for the prices and reviews to settle. ATI and nVidia are really battling out (and we stand to benefit from this).

If the gtx285 comes down to the $250 range I might consider that :)

Jaysin

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
The 4850x2 is probably a bit faster but it also much louder, trust me from experience. If noise isn't an issue, snatch it up.

If it is, go with the 4890. Both cards will be fine at that res.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

For your resolution (and PSU limitations) a 4850 will do just fine. You cheap out on MB, RAM and PSU, why stop now?

FredSRichardson

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
I think you have to be a little wary of the 4850x2. I've seen posts that claim it's loud, runs hot, and requires a lot of power. I've also seen reports of game compatibility and maybe even driver stability. These may just be the same issues you would have with any SLI/xFire setup. The flip side of the coin is that card does benchmark really well even at 1680x1050 on a set of games it runs well.

The 4890 and gtx 275 have the advantage of running quieter, using less power and being single card/GPU solutions. Both cards trade blows on the performance charts and apparently overclock very well (assuming they didn't send special version to their benchmarkers). The 4890 is currently cheaper and more widely available (last I checked there was only one vendor providing a gtx 275 on NewEgg).

There is one benchmark the concludes by saying the 4890 is the best choice for operating at 1680x1050, for what's that's worth. But then the gtx 275 appears to use less power at idle (more under load). nVidia has a better reputation with drivers, but ATi's drivers are getting better (or so I've heard). Is it better to have dx 10.1 or PhysX support? I just don't know...

Fletcher

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Radeon 4850 X2 Fan Noise Problem Solved

I purchased the Radeon 4850 X2 2GB card 3 days ago (upgrade from nVidia 8800 GTS OC) and nearly sent it back due to the
ridiculous noise it makes.

Having scoured the internet for a solution (editing profiles, downloading new bios updates etc) I came to the conclusion that
I was going to have to put up with it.

It is true you can set the fan speed to 20% via the Catalyst Control Centre, however this is actually louder than automatic,
which seems to run at 12%.

At 3am last night however, I found a way which gives you the best of both worlds; superb gaming performance which is cooler than before but also non-gaming noise levels that are so low, my hard disk makes more noise 

The main reason for the excessive noise, is ATI/Saphires’ over conservative and inefficient approach to cooling their card. With the method listed below, I am able to get an idle temperature of 42 degrees celcius and a load temperature of 62 degrees celcius without spending a penny. My idle fan speed is 2% and anything above 50 degrees celcius has a % increase in fan speed relative to the temperature of the card (as it should be).
To achieve this, just follow these steps:
1. Download and install ‘Radeon Bios Editor’ (RBE)
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/Utilities/RBE/
2. Download and install ‘ATI WinFlash’
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1364/Winflash_2.0.1.7.html
3. Run RBE and click the ‘Acquire/flash’ icon at the bottom
4. Locate your installed ‘ATI WinFlash’ software by clicking browse at the top right (ATIWinFlash.exe)
5. Click ‘Analyze’ at the bottom to refresh the attached graphics card list
6. Select the first adapter in the list and click ‘Acquire Bios’ at the bottom
7. The Bios will be load into the RBE program
8. Click ‘Save Bios’ so that you have a backup copy of the adapters default bios settings (safety first)
9. Select the ‘Fan Settings’ tab at the top
10. Select the ‘Use transfer function (recommended)’ button under ‘Fan throttle control settings’ heading
11. Change the following:
‘Tmin (C)’ to 50
‘Duty cycle min (%)’ to 2
‘Hysteresis (%)’ to 10
‘Tmin hysteresis (C)’ to 4
12. Select the ‘Additional features’ tab at the top
13. Select the ‘Fix/already fixed’ button under ‘Fix spin up bug’ heading
14. Click the ‘Acquire/flash’ button at the bottom
15. Click the ‘Flash Bios’ button at the bottom (this will apply the changes listed above)
16. It may ask you to reboot, but say ‘No’ if you have the other GPU adapter to update aswell
17. Repeat points 6 to 15, but selecting the second adapter
18. When you click ‘Flash Bios’ on the second adapter, it may notify you the product number is different, but continue anyway
19. Once updated, say ‘Yes’ to rebooting
20. Once rebooted you should notice a strange sensation of your ears going back to normal

I use a ‘Tmin (C)’ setting of 50 degrees celcius, because this is the level my card temperature sits below when idling. This level may be different for your system, so you may need to experiment.
You will have noticed than when you were inputting the numbers, the graph on the right also changes. With the figures selected above you will get a linear increase in fan speed corresponding to a similar increase in card temperature after 50 degrees celcius (the graph can be manually adjusted to suit your needs).

I hope this guide has been useful but please note any changes made your cards Bios is at your own risk.

G

i have the 4850 x2 and had a 750watt power supply, the power supply was incapable of fully getting the vga's full potential. i bought the 1000watt power supply and the lag and rubberband effect in mmo games when i was in an area with a lot of people disapeared. if u play games that have mass pvp gaming i would advise u to go with the 4850 x2 unless u can afford the 4890 x2. the 4890 is way superior in high end graphic areas. i play aion in fortress seiges and i have my processor quad core and clocked to 3.6ghz. i have to turn down the settings of game graphic options, the 4890 x2 should handel it a lot better. the clock speed on ram on the 4890 is way faster than the 4850. still i would not use the 4890 if i could afford the 4850 x2 or the 4890 x2, either of them will do the job most cases. i have a 4890 and it is verry unsatisfactory compared th the 4850 x2 i have, eventhough it is faster it lacks because the card is doing everything with 1 processor when the x2 versions split the graphics from the shading of stuff which makes the game run faster and smoother. i sencearly hope this tidbit of info. helped you. i have had lots of experience with computer problems of many kinds and used several online computer techs and i learned a lot from them.