Your question

Pentium 4 extra core?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Core
  • Pentium
Last response: in CPUs
June 16, 2009 2:10:52 PM

So I have a Pentium 4 2.8GHz processor in my PC, with 1GB of RAM and a 120GB HDD. The thing is, my computer has been running a little slow lately, so I was wondering what stores would sell me an extra core, and would this be difficult to install? Cause my friends said duo core is good. Thanks in advance,
Chuck

More about : pentium extra core

a b à CPUs
June 16, 2009 4:38:53 PM

you would need the following

new motherboard
new video card
new ram
new processor
new case

a new friend to install them

it would be cheaper to buy a new computer.

unfortunately pentium 4 was good but not no more is more like what you should be calling your self
Related resources
June 16, 2009 4:42:43 PM

Not sure if troll
a b à CPUs
June 16, 2009 4:46:05 PM

turboflame said:
Not sure if troll

just feeding to see if it bites :) 
June 16, 2009 8:36:50 PM

Am confused, why do I need to buy all of that new stuff? (graphics card, etc.) I just want to make my processor better by adding a second core.
And wtf is troll? Are you calling me stupid?
June 16, 2009 8:54:38 PM

nom nom nom

You can't really add a core to an existing processor, you would need to purchase another one.

Unfortunately if you wanted to buy a processor that would be worth buying, you would need to upgrade the motherboard because of the socket. If you upgrade the motherboard you will need to replace the ram, because motherboard that support the newer sockets would take DDR2 or DDR3 ram. If you upgrade the motherboard then you would need to upgrade the video card because changes are you would need a PCI-E not an AGP.....

uhhh.. long story short....

For a new processor, you need a new Motherboard. However getting a new motherboard would force you into getting a whole new everything else.
a b à CPUs
June 16, 2009 9:13:05 PM

Kithzaru said:
nom nom nom

LOL
June 16, 2009 10:11:10 PM

Google 'Troll' and read the wiki on 'Troll(internet)'
June 16, 2009 10:20:40 PM

LOL i like wiki's reference to Encyclopedia_Dramatica
a b à CPUs
June 17, 2009 12:33:52 AM

yeah...new computer time, especially with a P4 and AGP
a b à CPUs
June 17, 2009 5:55:25 AM

pentium4isgud said:
Am confused, why do I need to buy all of that new stuff? (graphics card, etc.) I just want to make my processor better by adding a second core.
And wtf is troll? Are you calling me stupid?

You can not add an extra core like adding adding a extra sweet to a bag of sweets.

Intel Produced Core 2 Duo for this purpose.

Quad core is the way forward for when Windows 7 comes out and its Hyperthreading compatible which means it the processor ( in Intels i7 case ) with work better with the new Windows 7 as it uses a virtual core to effectively fool the OS in to having double the cores - it transfers a 4 core to a 8 core virtually.

Also you will find a great performance leap when upgrading your current machine to newer technology.

AGP has a slower bandwith as does the board, the processor, the hard disk and the ram. Hence it would be cheaper to start again.
June 17, 2009 6:16:25 AM

By an extra core, and get out the sewing machine and have at it, voila, stitched together two-o-core
a b à CPUs
June 17, 2009 7:17:58 AM

Eureka

I have discovered your discovery and going to the patent office right now to discover what i havent discovered yet but will it soon discover soon,

Now if i can just get the silver cotton in to the supa doopa sowing machine I cant sell it on to the highest bidder..
June 17, 2009 9:31:34 AM

Just make sure you sell it as a two-o-core, not a duo core, as people might not believe you
a b à CPUs
June 17, 2009 1:05:55 PM

June 17, 2009 1:21:48 PM

How much will this sewing machine cost? Is it hard to use? I don't want to damage my motherboard. But I do like the sound of a two-o-core!
a b à CPUs
June 17, 2009 1:23:15 PM

June 17, 2009 1:31:24 PM

WHY IS EVERYBODY CALLING ME A TROLL? ARE YOU IMPLYING THAT I'M STUPID? I HAVE A LEGITIMATE QUESTION :@
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU----
a b à CPUs
June 17, 2009 3:30:14 PM

pentium4isgud said:
WHY IS EVERYBODY CALLING ME A TROLL? ARE YOU IMPLYING THAT I'M STUPID? I HAVE A LEGITIMATE QUESTION :@
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU----

A troll is not someone who is stupid..

Google the word Troll and youll find out..
a b à CPUs
June 17, 2009 3:54:26 PM

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

This thread is amusing to say the least. Anyway the thing is, your computer is pretty old. P4s have been out of production for some time so you're not going to get a new one for your system at a reasonable price. First of all, without knowing all of your specs (especially on your motherboard) we don't know if your motherboard will even accept a faster CPU. For one, we don't know if it's socket 478, or LGA 775. If your board is 478 then your choices are pretty limited. If it's LGA 775 then your choices will depend on BIOS updates from your motherboard maker. If the board accepts dual core Pentiums then you could probably get on on eBay.

If your board is 478 though there isn't much hope. Any CPU for such a board that would provide a significant increase (like a 3.4 EE northwood), is hard to fine and probably costs more than a cheap AM2 motherboard/CPU/RAM combo which would be much faster.
a b à CPUs
June 17, 2009 4:02:27 PM

pentium4isgud said:
How much will this sewing machine cost? Is it hard to use? I don't want to damage my motherboard. But I do like the sound of a two-o-core!

You can't honestly think that the sewing machine comment was serious...
:sarcastic: 
a b à CPUs
June 17, 2009 4:08:11 PM

cjl said:
You can't honestly think that the sewing machine comment was serious...
:sarcastic: 

it was a sowing machine i just missed a e off the end on purpose

hence so winge machine but then again no one got that either. oh well back to rednecking me cousin or something
June 17, 2009 5:06:53 PM

Well, you can't use a normal sewing machine and for the thread you have to use special stuff as well. It's kind of like soldering or welding wire, but much thinner and stronger.
June 17, 2009 7:47:35 PM

OO Must get two-o core
June 17, 2009 7:53:40 PM

Yep, duo cores are french, two-o-cores are Bernina.
June 17, 2009 7:57:11 PM

See, the french duo is part 1 and part du.
Sometimes life is boring, so in this thread, Im hoping to get people in stitches
June 17, 2009 8:40:29 PM

Wow this is such a lame attempt at trolling.

You are way to obvious bud, from your first post. LMAO at the idiots that actually bit.
a b à CPUs
June 17, 2009 9:30:07 PM

deuce271 said:
Wow this is such a lame attempt at trolling.

You are way to obvious bud, from your first post. LMAO at the idiots that actually bit.

Say wha !!!! ( the wha is in a higher pitched tone than say )

If he is a troll then so be it.
If he aint then so be it.

But some people do not understand the fundermentals of how pc architecture works and therefor need to be told on what limitations there are of what they expect.

If this person is trying to wind people up by making stupid remarks then " well done", now go home and fiddle with a cat.
If not then this person deserves the respect that this is not his field and needs help getting to where he wants to go.

Little knowledge is a dangerous thing and either way little knowledge would be the case.

June 17, 2009 10:49:20 PM

i have no words!!! :eek2: 
June 18, 2009 3:09:18 AM

get a cheap motherboard that has atleast 800 fsb so your can get like a 60 dollar pentium dualcore at 2.2 ghz and then your computer will go faster, also get 2gb of ram.
a b à CPUs
June 18, 2009 11:08:29 AM

Kithzaru said:
Well, you can't use a normal sewing machine and for the thread you have to use special stuff as well. It's kind of like soldering or welding wire, but much thinner and stronger.

I hope I didn't tell anyone about the sewing machine incident...
June 18, 2009 5:48:33 PM

fangirl, was that the time you attempted to write a program for the sewing machine itself? You know, the one where if the CPU max load hit 100% the sewing machine would turn on and automatically sew another core on to help with the load? ...yeah that didn't turn out too well...

this is going to sound horrible but on my way home the other night i passed by a car that had the back window sill filled with those little gem troll things... reminded me of this thread...
June 18, 2009 6:05:19 PM

I have a spare core I could sell you..

;) 
AC
June 18, 2009 11:41:27 PM

Ooo, with an Apple core, you wouldnt have to worry about viruses. Very nice.
June 19, 2009 12:45:46 AM

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahhahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I laughed so hard I cried
June 19, 2009 1:07:46 AM

Or shouldnt that be worms?
June 19, 2009 1:10:51 AM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Or shouldnt that be worms?

yup yup
a b à CPUs
June 20, 2009 3:41:20 AM

B-Unit said:
Ooo, with an Apple core, you wouldnt have to worry about viruses. Very nice.

Be careful, otherwise the big Apple will sue you.
June 20, 2009 4:30:42 AM

This made for a good read at 12:30 AM.

1) buy 2nd pentium 4
2) place on top of 1st
3) smack with mallet until they deform.....I mean form into one
4) place back into motherboard and force it to fit <------may take some work
5) turn on machine and watch the show
*note: especially useful if you try and pair a Socket 478 and a 775. Your new two-o-core is now a socket 1253 which just screams speed
June 20, 2009 7:42:23 AM

lostandwandering said:
This made for a good read at 12:30 AM.

1) buy 2nd pentium 4
2) place on top of 1st
3) smack with mallet until they deform.....I mean form into one
4) place back into motherboard and force it to fit <------may take some work
5) turn on machine and watch the show
*note: especially useful if you try and pair a Socket 478 and a 775. Your new two-o-core is now a socket 1253 which just screams speed

I think you'll find it's much easier than that...
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-262862_10_0.ht...
Nicer finish too.
AC :D 
May 21, 2012 2:02:01 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
By an extra core, and get out the sewing machine and have at it, voila, stitched together two-o-core

I like you loose freedom quote. Who is it from.?
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2012 2:05:49 PM

Please do not dig up old threads, especially with such pointless drivel.
If you had cared to read this thread before posting, you would have seen that not only is it three years old, but it was totally pointless to begin with.
!